Timing adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck posts a code indicating the timing is off, gas mileage isn't great (about 10mpg) and throttle response is not as good as I expect. I know the procedure: unplug ECM timing sensor, plug timing light into spark plug wire #1, adjust distributor until timing mark lines up at 0 degrees, shut off engine, reattach timing sensor and spark plug wire. I haven't been able to find the sensor harness to unplug it and I'm going to fix it this weekend can anybody tell me exactly where it is, I can trace it from the distributor, but I'm hoping somebody will take pity and just tell me where to look. Truck is a 1997 k1500 with a 5.7l Vortec.

Side note: everything I've seen so far for a chevy 350 indicates there's a gauge next to the harmonic balancer that shows various degrees of adjustment, but mine appears to have a simple line. Am I looking in the right place, or is this one of the minor differences between Vortec and TBI?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You set the timing with a Scan tool that can read Crank/Cam angle on a Vortec no timing light can do it. The procedure you outlined is for a TBI.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
L31MAXEXPRESS is rite. The timing has to be set with a scan tool that can read cam angle. Here is a video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media