The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 98 gmc sierra 5.7 vortec has been ticking under low rpm acceleration, most noticeable at 80to90 kmh. If it's a lifter, I don't want to just put a bandaid on the problem by fixing just the one lifter because who knows what else could go wrong!

Dubya

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
how many o2 sensors are on the exhaust pipes? i have got the 305 motor

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how many o2 sensors are on the exhaust pipes? i have got the 305 motor

for the '96 in your signature, IIRC it should be the same as the L31 350: 2 forward sensors, one for each bank, before the cats, 2 rear sensors, one for each bank, after the cats.

chevy-92

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a quick question about seafoam. I have about 180,000 on it right now, it's the original motor. I changed the plugs about 10k back, but I am looking at putting in some seafoam. Never used it before, so I'm pretty sure my engine would run a lot better.
Anyways, my questions are: I've heard that using it will gunk up your plugs, did you guys have this happen?
Also, could cleaning the engine with this stuff cause it to leak more? I've heard that sometimes oil and carbon build ups can plug leaks in gaskets and such, I just don't have the mechanical experience that you guys have, and I want to know if this could actually happen.
If you have any more suggestions for using the stuff, such as things to be careful of and things like that, it would also be appreciated.:handshake:
I have used sea foam in both the fuel and the oil. I have had good luck with it cleaning everything. Never had it plug anything or cause leaks.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Better idle and better fuel mileage are possible, and some say more power, I don't know about that for sure, but better idle yes!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks draggin', any recommendation?
Would it be better to do the dizzy, cap, rotor, and wires all one brand? msd or smthin.
I've got new acdelco cap/rotor, figured i'd get oe plugs n wires aswell? What brand wires o_O