Termite's 95 K2500 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Ooof, rough day bud. Clutch should be replaceable on the truck. I’ve done a couple on Hondas and Toyotas.

I just don’t know if you can find just the clutch anymore though…
Rockauto had a few listed for it but I want to confirm the compressor is free before ordering on. It's been noisy since I got the thing as i figured all R4 compressors are but kept right on running til yesterday. Such is the way it goes i reckon.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Been under the weather for the last 48 hours and busy with other stuff lately that takes priority. Plan for today before taking the kids to a birthday party is to clean out and organize my shed that has devolved into a nightmare recently

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Drove it to the barbershop to get my ears lowered as well as the boy’s. Had the community scan tool hooked up and noticed that when the EGR code pops up that the egr position sticks open ~80% with desired at 0%. Shut it down, restart and all is well again. Off to the FSM for some Light reading while it rains and the kids are napping.

Also had a historical code for the idle throttle kicker. It seems to be working correctly so just going to ignore that for now.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the community scan tool hooked up and noticed that when the EGR code pops up that the egr position sticks open ~80% with desired at 0%. Shut it down, restart and all is well again.
It sounds like your EGR valve is carboned up. Either clean it up or replace it.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like your EGR valve is carboned up. Either clean it up or replace it.
That's what I was thinking. Its got a linear EGR valve thats computer controlled. Planning to clean the passages on that when I pull the intake in a few weeks, weather permitting. Also will be resealing leaking valve covers at the same time.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Tomorrow begins a 2 week break from work for me. We're usually slower this time of the year as a lot of our inspections are for renovations which tend to take a pause on starting until after the holidays. As such, I've got next week for projects around the house and some headway on the Suburban. Then Thanksgiving with my family on VA/NC border.

Patching a ceiling, laying a new bathroom floor, building a vanity, and possibly installing a jack under a portion of our floor that bouces are priority. After those have been addressed, on to Suburban work.

Debating replacing the radiator hoses and other incidentals that will be off when I pull the intake and valve covers to reseal. Didn't realize hoses were ~$40 now for the upper rad hose. Likely going to disassemble and evaluate condition before dropping more cash.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
So, I rearranged my order of operations for projects and started in on disassembly of the suburban yesterday. Finished pulling the intake and valve covers today after building a new bathroom vanity (short of two pieces I need a new router bit for). So far, I've gotten the intake cleaned up of oil and old gaskets. It is in need of some more cleaning and a quick coat of paint to slow down the rust.

Rear water port on passenger side looked like it may have had a slight leak, or its just an artifact of the gasket separation on removal.
You must be registered for see images attach

Overall, I'm surprised there isn't more build up inside this engine for +250k miles on it. Going to finish today out with making a list of what i need for assembly and run to napa before they close at 5.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Finished cleaning up the intake this morning after a trip to town. Hit it with some high temp "aluminum" engine enamel.
You must be registered for see images attach

Considered going black like it was originally but dont like the way the black hides oil seepage.

Valve covers are cleaned and one is back on. Have barn detail at the in-laws this week while the father-in-law is on a work trip. Tomorrow, around school activities with the kids, I'll be reassembling.