Swapping Needles on the Cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Went to Circle Auto Recycling today (you guys nearby need to hit that up, 4 Suburbans, and 2-3 C/K's) and raided a '93 Suburban.

I got (among many things) the correct 1993 cluster with the yellow paint between the 4000-4500 RPM range, and yellow paint near the "E" on the fuel gauge. It's in great shape, but the yellow needles are somewhat faded.

My 1994 cluster has the orange gauges with no fading, I want to know if I can swap them to the new cluster without screwing something up.

Can I just pry the old ones off gently, and swap them by jut popping them on, or will I damage the little motors that move the needles by doing this?

Thanks all.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I've never did it but I've wanted to, I know by reading other threads about this that its tough to get the needles back in the right position

Sent from the frito crumb covered Android via Tapatalk 2

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
they just pop off. i took a really big screwdriver wrapped in some cloth(so you dont scratch the face of the guages) and pry on the front, then move to the back and give a turning twist to that side also. should just pop off. dont wrench on it but be firm about it and its almost effortless. i dont know if you have to put them on the same way they came off though.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they come off easy using a fork. before you remove the needles you take a picture of the cluster with the truck runing so you can replace the needles in the same place they were before

frito-bandito

Reaction score
You'll have to use GPS or something similar to get the speedo right though

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up all.

I thought as long as I matched where they are now (take a pic of it out of the truck, and put the gauges back in the exact same places) that it will work just fine. The gauges will read differently when the truck is running from when it is off (obviously).

frito-bandito

Reaction score
I'm not positive on that, which is what's stopping me from removing mine to paint them :nono:

98dieselburb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the engine is at normal operating temp also before you reinstall the needles...Too much chance of movement otherwise. As for the speedo, when I do these, I simply set it by the gps on the dash...works fine for me..

Shawn

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MountainDont