Swapped 5.7 TBI in my truck, need help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Branwhy

Reaction score
I have taken the 4.3 TBI out of my 88 c1500 and put a 5.7 TBI in it. I used the 4.3 wiring harness, and swapped computers (not sure if I had to), anyways long story short, three truck starts and runs, but runs sluggish. Upon light acceleration it sputters bad until the rpms get up a bit then it takes the fuel good. When the truck warms up and you try to start it, for about 5 seconds it runs so crappy it's almost stalling, then after the 5 seconds (ish) it picks idle up and idles (not too bad but not quite 100). After checking the egr valve it works, no vacuum leaks that I could find. there are 3 plug ins on the wiring harness on up by my intake manifold but I can't find anywhere they plug in, and the sensor in the driver side exhaust manifold isn't hooked up (head is broken). I don't really know what to do, and dont wanna give up on my old truck but I am completely stumped, help !

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are having ECM- or sensor issues. You need to do a live time sensor reading so that you can see what sensors are working properly, and what ones are not. I have a Jet programmer for my truck that has this option. My truck is a 97 so it is a Vortec, with OBDII system where yours is OBDI. I am not sure how to do a reading on yours, but I know it can be done. Also a code reading could help to pin point your issues.

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are having ECM- or sensor issues. You need to do a live time sensor reading so that you can see what sensors are working properly, and what ones are not. I have a Jet programmer for my truck that has this option. My truck is a 97 so it is a Vortec, with OBDII system where yours is OBDI. I am not sure how to do a reading on yours, but I know it can be done. Also a code reading could help to pin point your issues.

To read sensors on a TBI you need to get a cable and TunerPro RT

Cable: http://www.aldlcable.com/
TunerPro RT starter guide: http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-In...arter-Tutorial!-New-users-this-is-a-must-read

Other than that I can't help much cause I don't know much about doing swaps, best of luck to you!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sensor in the drivers side exhaust manifold is the o2 sensor. It will run like crap until you get that fixed.