swap time, but first might need a little help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

koke

Reaction score
ok i tracked down a 5.3l out of a 04 tahoe, 600$ for motor, harness, and ecm (only 32,000 miles!!!) not a bad snag, but no tranny. i will probley track down a 4l65e but does anyone know if the ls ecm has trans control? i really dont want to do a stand alone harness just for a tranny, and i figure going with the 4l65e vs 60e would probley be a good idea and cheaper since i dont even have a 60e. could go with a sm465 but the the splines are different for the transfer case (could just leave off the drive line and mob a two wheel drive lol) any help would be appreciated!! i'll post some pictures on thursday of the new ls :)

koke

Reaction score
Well got my motor today, and it looks clean!! so here is another thing that came up, its an 04, but has a newer motor (32,553 mile) and it has aluminum heads?? i thought they put cast on the truck blocks? and has anyone used the fuel pump from street and proformance? the one that has a feed and loops the return through a filter back to the tank. any help would be appreciated!!

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
any 60e or 65e 97 or newer will bolt up and plug in. ALL of the LS series engines had alloy heads except for the early 6.0l. Those 6.0l will not bolt up to a 60e series trans. Your 04 should have a returnless style rail, so you can use a corvette style filter/regulator combo... here are the Summit PNs you need to upgrade your pump (optional in a 96+ but recommended), regulate the pressure, and connect it to your lines.

Here are the part numbers you want.

Part Numbers from Summit Racing:
2- 6AN male SUM-2200077B
2- 6AN female SUM-220690
1- 3/8's SS hose SUM-G1001
1- Corvette Filter WIX-33737
1- Fuel pump ATX-E3270

Here are the adapter mounts from summit if you want to grab them at the same time:

1- Pair adapters TRD-4595

I'm doing hours of research on this topic so if you want to ask questions I can answer most of your questions.

On a related note, how is EVERYONE picking up these engines for so frecking cheap? DAMNIT I just want a good engine cheap!

Another unrelated note... I used to talk to a couple chicks online from Havre... small world.

koke

Reaction score
Haha yea small world indeed! lol and i got mine off of a near by reservation, and THANK YOU SO MUCH!! to tell you the truth, the same guy i bought the motor from wants me to trade him stright across a 700r4 for a NV4500, any take on the 4500? i wouldn't imagine the ls being to much, but i have been wrong before. and yea the street and proformance filter is practicly the same thing as that vette one

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
I believe the NV4500 is what they put behind the 6.5l, so it must be tough, but I don't really know anything about em... T56 or bust. LOL

koke

Reaction score
haha i would love to have a T56!! or an 8l80e haha but now were talking some money! i'll give the 4500 a go. i'll have pictures posted tommrow, gonna be a nightmare working this wire harness ahe?

koke

Reaction score
its a 94 tbi, the only thing i can think of having to be wired on the pickup would be break, tach, and key, but yet again i could be wrong. and yea thats a great site!! I will be sending my ECU to him

Wagonbacker9

Reaction score
I've got HPTuners already, so I'm doing my ECU myself.

Things I know of beyond that: Coolant temp, oil pressure (both for gauge and for fuel relay), vehicle speed