Sudden shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMS91

Reaction score
I reacently started having issues with my 91 silverado suddenly shutting off like the key had been turened off while driving usualy when im making a turn, and the key is still in the on postition. The truck will start up right away after it shuts off just by putting it in park, and then turning the key off and then back on. I'm not sure wht the problem is any advice?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I reacently started having issues with my 91 silverado suddenly shutting off like the key had been turened off while driving usualy when im making a turn, and the key is still in the on postition. The truck will start up right away after it shuts off just by putting it in park, and then turning the key off and then back on. I'm not sure wht the problem is any advice?

A bad ignition module is the most common problem with you symptoms but I did have a strange one back in the day. I bought a caprice that every time the lady pulled out of her driveway while turning to the left the engine would die. I watched it happen but I couldn't replicate it. Finally I palmed the steering wheel and sure enough it died. The 4 bolts that hold the knuckle in the steering column were so loose that as the wheel was palmed it would push or pull on the rod for the ignition switch and it would die.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tank when it does it? When you say "like the key had been turned off", do you mean all the electronics cut out?

I'm pretty sure you can put it in neutral and start it, but not 100% on your year. Just thought that might be helpful for you so you don't have to stop completely and put it into park to get restarted.

AMS91

Reaction score
Yes all the electronics cut out, and it seems to happen regardless of how much fuel is in the tank,and the same thing also happens occasionaly when i press the gas peddle when going straight, but it still will turn right back on with out delay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drennon99