Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
An 8 lug, 1500-badged Suburban? Tell us more! Did it come that way?

Sorry, I don't know much about the 1500 6.5TD. They are pretty rare even here in the States...maybe I wasn't aware they came configured like this. Seems like a robust combination!
From my understanding the burbs with the 6.5 where all 8 lug just had different badging. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could have some proof behind my statement.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
From my understanding the burbs with the 6.5 where all 8 lug just had different badging. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could have some proof behind my statement.

There were 6 lug 6.5 TD pickups, they got the 4L80 and 9.5" diff. These European diesel rigs seem to be multiplying lately.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There were 6 lug 6.5 TD pickups, they got the 4L80 and 9.5" diff. These European diesel rigs seem to be multiplying lately.
Yes there where 6 lug trucks. I did say I thought the suburban where all 8 lug regardless of 1500-2500. This post talks about the suburban 8 lug being all 8 lug. This isn't where I read it but all I could find in a short time.
EDIT
I forgot to add the link.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. I was also thinking 6 lug 9.5" like on the K1500 6.5 TD trucks.

I wonder what the GVWR were for the K1500 6.5 TD suburban? So it seems 9.5" 14 bolt rear axle and obviously 9.25" front. I had never seen a 1500 8 lug anything in this generation of trucks/SUV until this post. Must be super rare. That link said only for 1998?

Now that I think about, they even made a Tahoe with the diesel. Can't remember if NA or TD...I know those were all 6 lug.

Last edited:

PanGadzet4x4

Reaction score
Good move on getting it off the engine but from my understanding from lots of reading the best place for the pmd is behind the front license plate inside the bumper. Thats where I have mine and had 0 issues in the 3 years I've had mine. Nice looking truck BTW.
Thx for advice.. Place behind front plate sounds good if You do not use it as a offroad car... In my case PMD often would be be under water, mud etc. It is reason why is mounted as high as possible...

Mr Eric

Reaction score
Thx for advice.. Place behind front plate sounds good if You do not use it as a offroad car... In my case PMD often would be be under water, mud etc. It is reason why is mounted as high as possible...
Mounting it anywhere other than the stock location is an improvement. I'm in the 'top of the engine with a great sink' camp. That's where mine lives on my K2500 'burb. This and a remote double oil filter are the only real mechanical mods mine has.

PanGadzet4x4

Reaction score
Some news from Poland ;) My Americano spent a lot of time in the service... Suspension, gearbox and engine are completely renovated. In addition, we added a few elements such as an air intake via a homemade snorkel ;) Compressor mounted on the engine (with an air tank near the frame) water tank with heat exchanger, Al-Mg covers under frame, webasto, solar installation, additional battery, new LED’s, radio, webasto… In the near future I will rebuild brakes and will add the tent on the roof… It should be end of this year ;) In next step I have to rebuild indoor… And after all this things I should rebiuld my mind ;) Costs will be the same like new GMC Yukon XL Denali with all features in US But I love my old GMT400 …‍♂️
You must be registered for see images attach