Spark knock...no code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Martin

Reaction score
I am getting part throttle spark knock no matter what octane fuel I use in my 97 5.7. It's better with premium, but still there. I have a Black Bear Tune, and I have sent the computer back to them for a retune, but the issue is still there. I have replaced the knock sensor. Has anyone had a similar issue? I'm guessing it's either a bad EGR or a worn distributor gear, but the no CEL or code is throwing me off.
I was having this problem for the past several years and I just figured out how to make it stop... I decided to try putting some premium gas in and to my astonishment it fixed my misfire and shudder problems!

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I was having this problem for the past several years and I just figured out how to make it stop... I decided to try putting some premium gas in and to my astonishment it fixed my misfire and shudder problems!
That's how I deal with mine

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure your EGR is functioning. If it's deleted, or not operating, it will cause major spark knock. You can check the dist timing with a timing light or live OBD. If the engine ran ok and suddenly started doing this, any plug wires mixed up, egr tampered with?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk