Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Another update on the build... I now have a line on a group of parts that I really want. Will possibly have them waiting for me in a friends garage when I get home. A mildly built 454, new carb, headers, aluminum intake, mild cam and 30 over. Comes with a THM400 and NP205, and a set of 38" TSLs on wheels (would be put on the 93), all for around 2500.

My question is, what should I do for the tranny? I have been trying to read on which tranny to run, or if mine would hold up to the 454. I'd prefer to not switch if I dont have to.

And Tyler, the step pads and bed caps will most likely get painted when I return.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
what year bbc? i thought there was a difference in the bolt patterns for trannys depending on year dont quote me on that i might be mixing something up. id research it for sure though, i know a 4l80e can bolt up to a 454 vortec so im assuming it should be possible, hit up advancedadapters and ask them, theyd know id think.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I am asking the guy now, he is selling it for his friend. They work on the slopes so they aren't always home. As soon as the info comes through to me then I will put it up here. I know 88GMCtruck swapped a 454 into his stepside but Im still looking on more info on the tranny swap/build.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
swapping in a 454 is easy, making the trans and corssmembers and such is the hard part, i know dave used the nv4500 manual on his project though

Yeah I saw that. I am reading his thread on it now. I would LOVE a manual in my truck, just not sure I wanna go through the PITA it would be to get one. Plus I dont have the time or $$$ for it.

Painting the suspension really made the trick look different, I like it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. Simple little things like 10$ in spray paint can completely change a truck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just remember a mild bbc with an automatic means you need a stall, the question is depending on how mild it is how much of a stall will you need? and if you end up needing a stall you likely have more power than stock so can your stock internal 60e handle that all?

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah I am just trying to decide if the THM400 would be a good swap for it, or if I should just look for a different one. I can keep an eye out for an NV4000. Not sure how rare they are in AK. I can get just the motor and wheels for 2200.