shift points

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is it fine to do pulls in 1st and let it wind down slow and backfire it’s fun and it sounds good af but idk if it would be bad for my trans to be at like 4k rpm in 1st 4L60e i apologize for my grammar i just couldn’t be bothered to type properly as i’m on phone and don’t want to take the time to use proper grammar and punctuation.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Lots of variables in that question. And yes, please try to break up your posts a little. It probably took you longer to explain why your not grammering rather than just adding a couple Caps, a comma and a question mark.

If you are manually downshifting into 1st at a higher speed, then yes you are doing damage.

If you are just leaving it in 1st and going up and down the street revving/letting off/repeating then theoretically no your not doing damage as its locked in 1st and your not over-revving the engine. BUT if you have any exhaust leaks at the exhaust manifold then you can warp a valve really quick. Since it's backfiring, I would suspect this is the case.

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of variables in that question. And yes, please try to break up your posts a little. It probably took you longer to explain why your not grammering rather than just adding a couple Caps, a comma and a question mark.

If you are manually downshifting into 1st at a higher speed, then yes you are doing damage.

If you are just leaving it in 1st and going up and down the street revving/letting off/repeating then theoretically no your not doing damage as its locked in 1st and your not over-revving the engine. BUT if you have any exhaust leaks at the exhaust manifold then you can warp a valve really quick. Since it's backfiring, I would suspect this is the case.
thanks i kinda figured this was the case. I agree on the exhaust leak as i have a noticeable ticking noise normally.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Assuming a 100% factory truck, you cannot hurt a factory 4L60E or 4L80E moving the shifter into any forward gear at any speed. You can pull the shifter into 1st at 100 mph if you want. The transmission will not downshift until the vehicle speed drops enough for it to downshift. Downshifting does not hurt a thing, I do it all the time slowing down especially towing.

If I put the van in 1st at 80 mph, it will downshift to 3rd, then at 70 mph it will drop to 2nd, then at 40 mph it goes into 1st. My maximum downshift speeds are a bit higher than GM had programmed for stock 4L80E van application. I do not have to contend with drive by noise testing like they do.

It is actually easier on a 700r4, 4L60E and 4L80E to start off with the shifter in 3rd gear. It locks in an additional clutch pack that helps keep the sprag clutch intact. Especially important when towing.

Last edited:

VictoryRed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Today i was driving around with my buddy in his neighborhood in 1st only and i just mean if i get up to like 4k and let off to hear the motor wind down slow is that gonna be bad going past where it would normally shift at like i’d assume so long as it’s locked in gear it’s fine since it’s only going to shift where it’s told but i’m not sure only wondering as earlier today i had a guy tell me that the lower gears weren’t meant to turn that fast but on here so far it seems like it’s fine just trying to get as much input as i can on it so i can know for sure if it’s fine to keep doing or not so far i think the only downside is maybe excess engine wear due to higher rpm and eats through gas like crazy

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have driven stuff with loose converters for years. If I am 1/2 way down on the pedal I am at 3,000 rpm practically before I move 1 foot forward. My L31 boat ran nearly 5K as long as I had the throttle forward.

I just do not see the need to be obnoxious in someones neighborhood. I am light on the throttle in neighborhoods because I try to remain somewhat respectful of peoples peace and quiet. You might just be waking someones new born baby up or that paramedic that got off nightshift that you need help from someday.

The downside I see is you will definitely draw attention to yourself and that could come with negative attention. Police officers love to write tickets for loud pipes. The people in that neighborhood may also get verbal or even physical if they hear you and think you are tearing through their neighborhood where their kids are playing.

I had a buddy with a cammed LS1 T/A that had a SLP Loudmouth exhaust get held at gun point by a citizen that would not let him leave his dead end street. He held them there until the cops came. He insisted that my buddy was blazing through the neighborhood, when in reality he was riding the clutch at like 2K rpm to get over the road humps without bottoming out or stalling the car. Unknown to my buddy that street had a history of being a bit of street drag street, hence the road humps, the neighborhood home owners were fed up.

At the end of the day, do as you do. Just putting in my $0.02 since you asked the negatives.

Last edited: