Shift Lever Looseness.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a way to Make the shifter on the column tighter again? Mines loose to the point where I got to play around with it now to get the keys out.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about the column shift lever??

If so, drop the pin that holds the lever in place and use a pick to get the spring out of the little "hole" it sits in. I sounds like it's broken. Then head to a hardware store and find a spring that matches the diameter and length. slip the spring back into it's "hole", lube the end of the lever and slip it back in, keeping pressure against the spring. drop the pin back in and your done.

I had the spring break on mine and the shifter would fall out of park. Swapped out the spring and haven't had a issue since.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you talking about the column shift lever??

If so, drop the pin that holds the lever in place and use a pick to get the spring out of the little "hole" it sits in. I sounds like it's broken. Then head to a hardware store and find a spring that matches the diameter and length. slip the spring back into it's "hole", lube the end of the lever and slip it back in, keeping pressure against the spring. drop the pin back in and your done.

I had the spring break on mine and the shifter would fall out of park. Swapped out the spring and haven't had a issue since.
yeah on the column. So its just a Spring Pin that keeps it Tight?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Sorry, lost this thread. The pin holds the arm in place, there is a small spring down inside that keeps the tension on the arm. if you look down the arm towards the base, you will see the end of the spring.