Search yields too much to sift through with little answers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ellessroy

Reaction score
89 k1500 10blt gov lock finally gave it up. I've LS swapped and rebuilt trans. Makes sense to upgrade to something stronger and gear down a bit from the stock 3:08 or what ever freeway worthy set is in it now. I'm thinking 3:73 or 4:10. Figured I'd find a donor later model and get both front and rear diffs and swap them them out. Now I know there is a lot to look out for in doing this. Drum to disc, spring perch width, yolks, u joints, front diff style, lug pattern, the list goes on and I'm prepared to convert what I have to for the best fit vs. Strongest vs. Cost effective combination to piece together. 1 ton full float, 3/4 ton semi float, 89-2019, suburban, long bed, 2wd 4wd, I dont care I'll get it. Any simple suggestions for a donor vehicle to look for to get all/ the bulk of what I need from?

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You are going to have to stay with a K 1500 /2500 LD (7200GVW) truck if you are swapping front and rear diffs, 2wd and 4wd rear diffs are different widths. Look for a LD 2500 with a 9 1/2 inch semi float axle that way you can keep your six lug wheels on the rear diff

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like evil says, stick with the gmt400 9.5sf out of 4x4. The 9.25 front diff from a 3/4 or 1 ton will not bolt in without a lot of work. I have a 9.25 in my 1/2 ton Yukon with BDS lift and it is easier than many make out, but not a bolt in by any means.