SAS help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I got an axle off of a 76 chevy. I'm going to do a solid axle swap. I'm going to be getting a 208 transfer case off a 87 1/2 ton with a 700r4. From what I've read it should bolt up to my 4l60e I just need an adapter for the speedo. I'm looking at the SAS conversion kit from or and a cross over steering kit. What else do I need to get or look at and know about? I'm doing as much research as possible but could use some advice. Sorry about long post

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much lift you looking to get? What springs you gunna use, tire size, what gears do you have now (may need to gear down)? Probably gunna need custom driveshafts. Have to look into getting your exhaust redone because the crossover pipe is in the way of the front drive shaft. Good luck with you build!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Springs driveshaft rear lift exhaust gears rims tires

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably looking at 4" of lift. Don't want to go too high. Good to know about exhaust. I have the stock 76 springs. Would I need 4" lift springs for it? I was looking at lift shackles and maybe blocks or an add a leaf for the rear.for now I'm just going to keep the Craiger soft 8s I have and probably just finish off the 285s that are on them. Then possible move up to a 35. I have 3.73 gears right now. How do I tell what kind of gears are 8s the front axle I'm going to use

sent from your moms house

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Probably looking at 4" of lift. Don't want to go too high. Good to know about exhaust. I have the stock 76 springs. Would I need 4" lift springs for it? I was looking at lift shackles and maybe blocks or an add a leaf for the rear.for now I'm just going to keep the Craiger soft 8s I have and probably just finish off the 285s that are on them. Then possible move up to a 35. I have 3.73 gears right now. How do I tell what kind of gears are 8s the front axle I'm going to use

Brackets give you 3 inches of lift by themselves low lift sas is hard to do

kidd666

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So should I look at 5-6 inches

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What leafs do you want to use? Rear 73-87 k20 will get you 3-4 inches by themselves and rears will get you 6-8. I used front k20 springs with an add a leaf and got 4 inches all together. I as well have 285s that fit nicely but could probably stuff 35s. Pull the diff cover off and count the teath on your ring and pinion and devide them. May be stamped on the ring gear as well.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
So should I look at 5-6 inches

At least
What leafs do you want to use? Rear 73-87 k20 will get you 3-4 inches by themselves and rears will get you 6-8. I used front k20 springs with an add a leaf and got 4 inches all together. I as well have 285s that fit nicely but could probably stuff 35s. Pull the diff cover off and count the teath on your ring and pinion and devide them. May be stamped on the ring gear as well.
Really? 3 inch sas? I call bullsh! T

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? 3 inch sas? I call bullsh! T[/QUOTE]

with stock used k20 springs and ORD brackets mine sat at 3 inches that's why I did add a leafs on it.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ord brackets give you 3 inches all by themselves