RHD Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Here’s an old thread on the guards, maybe newer info is out there:

Thread 'grill guards'
https://www.gmt400.com/threads/grill-guards.6470/

There are some on eBay, search for

“88-99 Chevy/GMC C/K GMT400 Front Bumper Brush Grill Guard Protector”
Something like this:

Ranch Hand is a very good brand. Not cheap, but made in Texas and they do (or did) offer models for our trucks.
No idea what brand is on my truck, it came into the family with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230401_080715369_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230401_080715369_HDR.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 2

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
That thing looks like a unholy hodge-podge of parts and a complete nightmare for finding replacements.

I don't even know what I am looking at for dash buttons here:
You must be registered for see images attach

The "Rear Wiper" switch looks like a parts store rocker switch R&R and the center right is non-stock, but the others look like OEM, but nothing like I've seen on a GMT400 before.

Also, as @1998_K1500_Sub pointed out, it has the ARTEB tail-lights with the amber turn signals.
This is of interest to me as it also looks like it was rigged up for a 7 pin trailer connection.

As it appears to have the standard multifunction switch stalk, I cannot for the life of me figure out how it isolates the rear turns and stop lamps on the taillights, and have a functioning 7 pin trailer harness (which combines turn and stop signals), without some sort of changeover relay logic.

The VIN, 3GMGK26F0XG950067, is nicely shown in one of the photos, which does pull up a RHD suburban in acdelcoTDS.
Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams for it are not present like on the LHD service manuals.
The dashboard used from GM in these "factory conversions" was from the Trailblazer platform as that was sold in RHD markets. So it was something "off the shelf".... I would presume the same on the switchgear.
I don't know how the trailer connector harness is wired, but I know our 2006 Yukon XL Denali had the factory 7 pin/blade connection, and the GMT 800/NBS taillights are wired with separate brake and turn signal lights. Red lens portion for brakes and running lights, amber portion for turn signal and emergency flashers. Great when driving in bad rain, so other drivers can see you easier!

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The dashboard used from GM in these "factory conversions" was from the Trailblazer platform as that was sold in RHD markets. So it was something "off the shelf".... I would presume the same on the switchgear.
I don't know how the trailer connector harness is wired, but I know our 2006 Yukon XL Denali had the factory 7 pin/blade connection, and the GMT 800/NBS taillights are wired with separate brake and turn signal lights. Red lens portion for brakes and running lights, amber portion for turn signal and emergency flashers. Great when driving in bad rain, so other drivers can see you easier!
Another thing about the RHD Aussie Holden Burbs: they made them from 1998-2001, in K1500(with 5.7 gas engine) and K2500 (with the 6.5 diesel as this example has) but over that time period, there were less than a thousand built. A sticker price around AUS$ 85-90K didn't help.....

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That thing looks like a unholy hodge-podge of parts and a complete nightmare for finding replacements.

I don't even know what I am looking at for dash buttons here:

The "Rear Wiper" switch looks like a parts store rocker switch R&R and the center right is non-stock, but the others look like OEM, but nothing like I've seen on a GMT400 before.

Also, as @1998_K1500_Sub pointed out, it has the ARTEB tail-lights with the amber turn signals.
This is of interest to me as it also looks like it was rigged up for a 7 pin trailer connection.

As it appears to have the standard multifunction switch stalk, I cannot for the life of me figure out how it isolates the rear turns and stop lamps on the taillights, and have a functioning 7 pin trailer harness (which combines turn and stop signals), without some sort of changeover relay logic.

The VIN, 3GMGK26F0XG950067, is nicely shown in one of the photos, which does pull up a RHD suburban in acdelcoTDS.
Unfortunately, the wiring diagrams for it are not present like on the LHD service manuals.
Down here, and in Aussie, we have amber turn signals that work independently of the brake/park lights. As a new vehicle it was required to meet the Aussie regulations. The big problem with buying a converted vehicle is not knowing which parts were used and which parts were custom made when doing repairs or maintenance. Let alone the wiring to make it all work. I choose to buy a LHD truck for that very reason, plus it's cool for being different.

PM18S4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a difference in the multifunction switch stalk from GMT400 to GMT800.
GMT400 stalks (AC Delco D826A, GM 26100985) combine the stop signal to the rear turn signals in the stalk switch.
This required needing to run several 2 mm² (14 AWG) wire and full Lamp power up through the stalk and back.

The GMT800 Stalks (AC Delco D6257C, GM 26100839) do not combine the signals in the stalk switch.
Instead, it has the Stop and Turn signals combine for the trailer in the Turn Signal Flasher Module (GM 10383321) and the vehicle turn signals are separate from the trailer:
The benefit to this is it only runs the 'relay on' wires for the turns signals with 0.35 mm² (22 AWG) wire up through the stalk and back.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GMT800 ... has ... the Turn Signal Flasher Module (GM 10383321)

Yup... the GMT800 Turn Signal Flasher Module removed a lot of switching complexity formerly residing in the GMT400 multifunction switch, and eliminated a number of separate components.

It also facilitated the wiring for the taillights distinct from the trailer, as was noted.

Note the relative simplicity of the GMT800's wiring diagram vs. the GMT400s...

- a simple turn signal switch
- a simple hazard switch
- no stand-alone flasher module

:waytogo:

Last edited:

BrettMac

Reaction score
Hi, I own a 145000 km "Aussie spec" Suburban but live in New Zealand.
I believe the vehicles were assembled with RHD Blazer dashes from the Japanese market blazers then extended. There are extensions around the glove box.
It uses the center Turbo setup that I think was from the G series van.
Lots of the loom, brakes lines and cooling is extended to swap sides. It makes it a nightmare to work on.
I have changed the factory taillights and headlights but it wasn't a straight swap. The headlights had to have additional relays as there are LED running lights beneath them that have to turn off when the main lights come on here in NZ.
I think I will be going back to the OEM ones as the other ones are very poor. Probably as they are designed for the other side of the road.
The tail lights had to have timers added to the circuit to get them to work. I think I still have the wiring diagram from the auto sparky for this if anyone is interested.
Here is the truck when I bought it

Current Look

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I own a 145000 km "Aussie spec" Suburban but live in New Zealand.
I believe the vehicles were assembled with RHD Blazer dashes from the Japanese market blazers then extended. There are extensions around the glove box.
It uses the center Turbo setup that I think was from the G series van.
Lots of the loom, brakes lines and cooling is extended to swap sides. It makes it a nightmare to work on.
I have changed the factory taillights and headlights but it wasn't a straight swap. The headlights had to have additional relays as there are LED running lights beneath them that have to turn off when the main lights come on here in NZ.
I think I will be going back to the OEM ones as the other ones are very poor. Probably as they are designed for the other side of the road.
The tail lights had to have timers added to the circuit to get them to work. I think I still have the wiring diagram from the auto sparky for this if anyone is interested.
Here is the truck when I bought it

Current Look

G'Day fellow Kiwi, that's a nice looking truck. I found with the quad headlights that I had to lower the right hand lens to keep it from blinding oncoming drivers.