rebuilding vs replacing.....???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm looking to either rebuild or replace the trans in my 98 2 door. 4x4. I have a 4L60E that was pulled from a 97 sitting in the garage. No idea on its condition. Question is, whats the better road to take. Rebuild the 97 trans and put it in the truck and be done with it or just buy a new replacement trans from a reputable online vendor. Cost and durability will be the two most important factors here.
I do not wheel this truck at all. It a DD with 33s on it.

The trans in the truck runs fine now with 130K miles on it. Im just looking into future upgrades since I plan on keeping the truck for a while.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your current trans is good I would keep it somewhere till you start having tranny problems. No need to put money into something you may never need.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may try and tear into this trans and do a freshening up on it as time and money come along. No need to rush on it since the trans in the truck now is working fine.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I would do it yourself or have someone local rebuild it when/if it's needed. I don't like dealing with people online or over the phone on issues such as engines and transmissions. That way if you ever have a problem you can take it back to them.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only issue I can see with doing this myself during my spare time is drawing the line on how far to go with a rebuild. I have never taken a transmission apart before. I have some researching to do on this if I decide to try to freshen it up myself.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I can tell ya it would intimidate me. If you've got someone you can find local I'd be more apt to go that route if it was me.

Sent from the Green Mile

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
96/97 trans does not interchange with 98+ the wiring plugs are different.......

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My advice is if you want to get into trans work, buy a book on the 4l60-E, and do it right. Its not hard if you have a little guidance.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I plan to rebuild my 5 speed whenever it goes (hopefully not for many more years), but an automatic....no thanks. I would just replace it when the time comes. Parts for the GMT400 are everywhere, you trip over them in junkyards there are so many.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
96/97 trans does not interchange with 98+ the wiring plugs are different.......

I didnt know this. I was under the assumption that the 95 trans was the odd ball out of the family.