rear disc swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silver6

Reaction score
I hope you don't think I'm beating a dead horse here, but I've read and read until I'm blue in the face and I can't come up with a parts list for what I need. I'm tired of the never ending adjustment of the rear brakes on my truck and I want to go disc in the rear. It's a 14ff on a 1 ton srw and I want to keep the e-brake for the boat ramps. I can't seem to find a thread that covers that very one with a parts list so if anybody could lead me in the right direction it would help a lot. Once again, thanks for the replies in advance.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
In a nutshell:

Rear caliper brackets
Rear calipers
Rotors
Assorted lines and hoses

There's lots of threads and lists on google on which parts to use/buy. There are several ways to go about it.

You can get away with the stock master cylinder and pro portioning valve, but a switch to rear disc brake components will increase pedal feel and braking.

Since you want to retain the rear ebrake (I understand, I need one for bi-annual road inspection) you are kind of stuck with two options:

Calipers from a Cadillac Eldorado. These have a lever that cable actuates the piston. They are also troublesome to keep in adjustment and tend to seize/stick a fairly often.

Find a newer AAM 10.5 rear axle (its the company who took over manufacturing of what we all know as teh corporate 14 bolt) and "steal" the setup from the backing plate flange out. They have a rotor that has small shoes inside the rotor hat that functions as an ebrake.

A quick trip to a scrap yard for a looks see can make it clearer and get you underway.

:)