Random dying/ hard start help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97 z71

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. Got my first truck, a 97 silverado 350, love the truck, lots of aftermarket but stock under the hood. Just replaced crank position sensor, ignition module, cap and rotor, fuel pump and sending unit, fuel filter, new plugs and wires. Shop just put in the sending unit for the fuel system in the tank 4 days ago. Thing is, runs like a champ, but when it's cold, hit the gas a little boy web your driving at irate and it stumbles and don't run on all cylinders, you gotta let off and give it some gas a gain for it to clear up. Dows that for about 30 seconds then runs good. Drove it for the first time since the shop and ran good, but pulling into work it randomly died, no studder, just died. Fires right back up and kept goin. Then drove back here to the shop and parked it to put some rear end fluid in it. 10 minutes later went to fire it up and all it did was crank and crank. Left it for 20 minutes and it fired right up, but the CEL was on. Didn't have a scan tool so I moved it out of the shop to park it. Shut it off and fired it up 3 more times to see if it would do it again. Fired right up all times, and the 3 rd time the CEL went off. It's been doing this before all the parts replaced... ****** me off!! Any clue??? Need help

97 z71

Reaction score
Yeah guy I bought it from I work with and he's got a code reader that he's gonna
Brig, and as for fuel pressure, the pump was new 4 days ago

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its a cheap parts store brand pump, that means nothing. I would still check the pressure.

Also what brand ignition parts an sensors did you use. Vortecs are very picky about these components an the cheapest ones usually cause issues....

97 z71

Reaction score
Ax delco and Delphi parts ONLY have I used for replacements

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the milage an has the injector spider been replaced?

Could also be worn teeth on the distributor gear...

We really need that code though, until then its all just guesses...

On second thought could be the pass lock/anti theft unit too, or the ecm....

97 z71

Reaction score
163kband no it hasn't been changed, imbreally sick of playing the guessing game cause all those parts and still the same problem, I can't even trust this thing hardly, makes me mad

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya see if you can get the code that caused the ses. That should help narrow it down....

97 z71

Reaction score
k guys, at work, tried to fire it up to go home from work, as it has been sitting for over a day. iv had this problem before, but only once it gets hot and normal running temps. but NEVER like this, now it wont even start cold.. i didnt take any time to listen for anything cause it was pouring and i couldnt hear **** what was going on so i left it. goin to check er out later tomorrow and try and find something. this SUCKS