Pure Sex.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Mainly the advantage to me of the '400 platform is that I have lots and lots of parts available to me at zero cost...

That's a definite plus....if only GM had of built a better diesel back then rather than push an older design past it's limits.......:(

The only problem with junked 6.X's is that they're usually useless. Blocks are usually cracked, heads cracked, IPs worn, injectors tired, turbos near death, etc.

It's a good wrapper with a bad tasting bar inside.

The cummins is a great candy bar in a really crappy wrapper.

If only GM had of teamed up with cummins......

:)

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
That's a definite plus....if only GM had of built a better diesel back then rather than push an older design past it's limits.......:(

The only problem with junked 6.X's is that they're usually useless. Blocks are usually cracked, heads cracked, IPs worn, injectors tired, turbos near death, etc.

It's a good wrapper with a bad tasting bar inside.

The cummins is a great candy bar in a really crappy wrapper.

If only GM had of teamed up with cummins......

:)

These particular ones run and are in rotted out trucks, but yeah, I get your point. Common failures means rare used parts (or, rare parts that you will actually need).

Too bad the dirtymax didn't come out a year or two earlier, if you could have gotten them in '99 or '00 '400s I would be on that some quick. Even with the injector problems.

I still like the old rattlers though.

MeechYah

Reaction score
Alright i know this thread is about 2 months old, but I am new here. I just wanted to say that these trucks aren't that expensive if you are willing to do some work yourself. You can pick up a C6500 for anywhere between 2k-20k depending on what you want on it. Then get a old c/k and get the bed off it, and if you want a crew-cab. take that off while you are at it as well. If you don't feel like making the swap, there are plenty of these trucks on places like Craigslist that list for under 10k and all they need is the finishing touches like paint. So if you really do like these trucks don't think that they are out of reach, look online and see what you can find.