Problems after HG install. (lean codes)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onspeed

Reaction score
Too late, cut off the opposite blade. Didn't notice anything unusual and the airflow seemed to be the same.

Broke the MAP sensor as I was removing the plenum again in my haste. And the fuel spider gasket is all stretched now so I have to buy another plenum gasket set since they don't sell it separately. Car is nickle and dime-ing my wallet!

Last edited:

onspeed

Reaction score
New FPR in along with new plenum gaskets. Replaced the MAP sensor with one I had laying around from a 3.8 Camaro. No longer at +40% fuel trims, so I guess it's "fixed". But it's still around 15%. Not throwing a code, so I'll just leave it as is for now.

Also need to gut my cats, still throwing p0161 code after switching the post-cat O2s, so I assume my passenger side cat is dead after 200k. I read somewhere that you can make a spacer with spark plug foulers and it won't throw a code even with no cats?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Try disconnecting the batter for a few minutes, The computer will go into Fuel learn mode. The trims may come back down after driving.

Yes, the spark plug fouler trick works for about a month at a time, it will turn the light back on. But it will get you passed a state emission test.

onspeed

Reaction score
Oh I feel stupid. I had that little bracket that holds the lines into the spider flipped upside down, so it wasn't effectively holding the fuel lines.

My heater hose got a pin size hole today right by the crimp to the quick connect fitting. I was thinking about changing it to a regular barb fitting when I had the intake off and etc, but I told myself "oh it looks fine, shouldn't leak". Silly me. Noticed a little bit of gasoline pooled around the fuel lines when I pulled the air box and etc off to get the quick disconnect fitting off the intake. I'm pretty sure that'll fix my problems.

Also been having issues with over heating in traffic now that I've started actually driving it. It's fine when moving. Changed the fan clutch, and it made it much better, but I think it still gets hot if it sits idle long enough, although at a significantly slower rate. I'm wondering if it has to do with my fan missing two blades, or that I'm running without fan shrouds at the moment. Maybe the combination of the two.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't run that fan. Replace it. With missing blades it's out of balance and can prematurely wear out your water pump. Also running without shrouds is the main reason for overheating

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't run that fan. Replace it. With missing blades it's out of balance and can prematurely wear out your water pump. Also running without shrouds is the main reason for overheating

Agreed! replacing that fan blade and reinstalling the fan shroud will stop the overheating. No air flow = hot radiator!

As for the fuel leak, Hope that fixes it.