Pic request of full HVAC control unit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
That was my plan. I can find a junk one and chop it up. I wasnt sure if the knobs could be separated from the circuit board, and then I'd just have some stickers made to put around the knobs for the fan speed and postitions.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my plan. I can find a junk one and chop it up. I wasnt sure if the knobs could be separated from the circuit board, and then I'd just have some stickers made to put around the knobs for the fan speed and postitions.

Can i ask why you want to do this?

Sent from somewhere in MN

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Bit different than what you're looking for but the older version can be made to fit:

You must be registered for see images attach

I don't have any more info other than that pic.

GMT400 HVAC controls are all electric, no vacuum. They can be located anywhere as long as you extend the harness....

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Thats pretty much exactly what I had planned, except mold in the knobs instead of the buttons. Im sure it would take some trimming and such, but would turn out pretty awesome in the end. I just dont know what I would fill up my dash with instead. I know a DD for sure, just not sure what underneath it.

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
First off let me say, I have a 1991, so I have not dealt with this first hand. I just looked at some pics on ebay, and I would say it CAN be done. There are no vac lines as I can see, so that won't be a problem. It looks like the depth and orientation of the circuit boards the way they are currently mounted will be the issue. Being an electronics guy, I would do it this way, and mind you, this is just in my head so take it for what it's worth.

I would use the original suburban fascia and use the circuit board from your ac unit. Remove the potentiometers on the burb unit if they are not the same value as the ones on the circuit board of your ac unit and mount the correct value pots in their place. If they are the correct value already, then you are all set. The fan switch on the suburban unit looks like it will wire up the same, so it probably won't need the be swapped out, just extend your wires from the ones into the dash. Now, remove the potentiometers on your ac control unit and wire the board to the pots on the burb with enough wire to reach wherever you intend to hide the circuit board. I see there are also two switches on the original unit that the burb does not have, so you will need switches to do that same function, they look to be DPDT switches, so you can find some pretty easy and mount them somewhere on the fascia.

Now if there is no place to tuck the circuit board behind the unit in the overhead slot, you could just breadboard the circuit as it does not seem to contain many parts, just a few resistors, diode and transistors. This will make the circuit board much smaller and easier to hide. After this is all done, just extend your wires to the overhead console. You will also need to do the backlighting, but that should not be very hard.

This sounds like an interesting project, good luck!

Pictures off ebay of the the two units i used as comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-99-silverado-sierra-climate-control-heater-AC-GMC-1500-2500-truck-Chevy-/230961034250?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c659b40a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-CHEVY-GMC-SUBURBAN-YUKON-TAHOE-OVERHEAD-HEATER-AC-CONTROL-/170616796720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b98db630&vxp=mtr

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Another:

Source:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161611

That is how I wanted to do it, mold it in with the OHC so it looks like it belonged there. Exactly like that, but with my style knobs.

First off let me say, I have a 1991, so I have not dealt with this first hand. I just looked at some pics on ebay, and I would say it CAN be done. There are no vac lines as I can see, so that won't be a problem. It looks like the depth and orientation of the circuit boards the way they are currently mounted will be the issue. Being an electronics guy, I would do it this way, and mind you, this is just in my head so take it for what it's worth.

I would use the original suburban fascia and use the circuit board from your ac unit. Remove the potentiometers on the burb unit if they are not the same value as the ones on the circuit board of your ac unit and mount the correct value pots in their place. If they are the correct value already, then you are all set. The fan switch on the suburban unit looks like it will wire up the same, so it probably won't need the be swapped out, just extend your wires from the ones into the dash. Now, remove the potentiometers on your ac control unit and wire the board to the pots on the burb with enough wire to reach wherever you intend to hide the circuit board. I see there are also two switches on the original unit that the burb does not have, so you will need switches to do that same function, they look to be DPDT switches, so you can find some pretty easy and mount them somewhere on the fascia.

Now if there is no place to tuck the circuit board behind the unit in the overhead slot, you could just breadboard the circuit as it does not seem to contain many parts, just a few resistors, diode and transistors. This will make the circuit board much smaller and easier to hide. After this is all done, just extend your wires to the overhead console. You will also need to do the backlighting, but that should not be very hard.

This sounds like an interesting project, good luck!

Pictures off ebay of the the two units i used as comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-99-silverado-sierra-climate-control-heater-AC-GMC-1500-2500-truck-Chevy-/230961034250?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c659b40a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/97-CHEVY-GMC-SUBURBAN-YUKON-TAHOE-OVERHEAD-HEATER-AC-CONTROL-/170616796720?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b98db630&vxp=mtr

Looking at your pictures, and from what I remember when mounting my OHC, is I should have enough room for that circuit board to be mounted just as is, but be flushed in with my OHC, as in the one that one done with the newer style controls posted above ^^^. Since Im sure it will be no walk in the park, but its definitely interesting, and depending on how big a DD unit I get for my birthday, I may go this route. It was just an idea that had popped into my head when thinking of what to put there, and now I just figured I would bring it up to the forum and get some opinions.