OMG Metal clanking sound in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So new problem with the 4L60E in my 96 Yukon. A metallic, rhythmical clanking sound when in reverse. Seems like the sound is louder when truck is cold. Only notice it in reverse. Any ideas? I've attached a video so you can hear, but it was dark outside. Thanks!https://vimeo.com/121209684

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the video is working now. I should have been more clear but this clanking occurs even when the truck is not moving. Im not very mechanically inclined, but I think that rules out a ujoint. I wish it was something simple, but that would not be my luck.

EastTXYukon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump and update. Noticed the clanking this morning on both reverse and forward gears. The faster I go, the less the clank is noticeable till its gone. Really loud on startup, then eventually goes away. Any ideas?

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like has been said, could be the torque converter and/or flexplate. Heard a similar noise in my old Malibu, turned out to be a cracked flex plate. It caused the torque converter to wobble so bad that it now needs to be replaced.