oil pressure sender issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a stock 97 k1500 with the 5.7 vortec. This has been going on for a year and its just now getting on my nerves. When I start my truck in the morning I have a full 60 psi of oil pressure. as my engine warms up the oil pressure drops. wile cruising I have 40 psi of oil pressure but as soon as I slow down and my rpm's drop bellow 1000 my oil pressure drops to zero and my check gauges light comes on. as soon as I give it some gas the oil pressure goes right back up to 40psi. the truck only does it when it gets close to oil change time. and for the last year, when it goes to drop, ive been powerbraking it to keep the rpms up. then as soon as I change the oil at 3000 miles, it goes back up and doesn't drop below 30 again till it gets close to time to change the oil again. I use 10w-30 mobil one extended performance oil, a quart of lucas, and wix filters. so the oil should not be degraded enough at 3000 miles to cause the oil pressure to fluctuate like that. the motor does not consume oil. I might have to put a quart in at about 2000 miles after I change it but that's it. like I said its been doing this for a year and no smoke, no engine noise, no valve tick. any ideas? is the gauge bad? the sending unit? or the pump going bad?