Odd Starting Issue, Need Help asap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdlyn13000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok let me fill you in and hopefully someone has seen this issue. I have a 1997 Chevy 1500 z71 5.7 auto 4x4. I live in Minnesota and it's been very cold the last couple days. A buddy was coming over last night to buy the truck so I went out early in the morning to make sure it starts fine since it's been sitting for a few weeks. So here is what happened yesterday...

First thing in the morning I turn the key and the starter turns a couple times but battery is clearly not charged. I throw it on the charger then try again and same thing, starter turns a few times slow but weak battery won't start. I take the battery to Walmart and they test it bad so I get a new battery. I put the new battery in and now the starter won't turn at all it won't even click! So I pull the starter out and take it to car quest and the starter tests bad. I buy a new starter and throw it in and the same exact thing happens. Won't turn won't click nothing. I pull the new starter and take it to car quest to test it and it works perfect on their tester. I come home throw it back in the truck and same exact thing, nothing happens.

So what I end up doing last night is I turn the key to the on position and take a screwdriver and jump the 2 posts on the starter. It fires right up and runs perfect. I test drove it for a while then bring it home. I shut it off and go inside for a few minutes then come back out turn the key and fires up running great just like it should! So my buddy comes over to get the truck. Again it starts great with the key as he leaves, everything seems perfect!

So this morning after it sat over night he goes out to start it and the same exact issue!! The starter won't turn or even make a noise!! What the hell is wrong with this thing!!

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would start checking the grounds, especially the one that attaches from the firewall to the frame above the starter.also check the wires that run through the heatshield/ tube above aswell to make sure there isn't a bare wire that is grounding out.