Not Your Everyday Brake Problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying this is the 94 in my sig.

Besides the fact that our brakes suck in general, mine are working fine right now except for one little thing.

When I go to back up, it will back up fine for about 10-15 feet then completely lock up the rear wheels. Press the brake pedal down a bit and the brakes will unlock from the rear.

Now, the truck did this when I first got it. It did it for about the 1st week of me really driving it and then just stopped out of the blue. That was about 1.5 years ago. It's been fine since then, until last night when I went to drive home from the shop it did it again... :fca5278d: It's not doing it anymore today, and is working fine, but I'm curious as to what actually caused it.

Before it started again last night I had pulled the ol' girl up into the snow to get it out of the way so I could snow blow the parking lot/driveway. I was up cab with snow and had to work her to get it out of that spot. So a lot of Drive, brake, reverse, brake; repeat. So I'm leading to it the brakes in the back just froze up a bit because of being packed with snow? But it only ever does it when I'm in reverse. They do not lock up in drive. I'm also thinking maybe the control valve for the RWAL was messing up? The only time my RWAL actually kicks on is when my rear tires are free spinning in the snow or something and I hit the brakes. I'm not sure, just throwing some thoughts out there.

What do you guys think?

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Or....something in the drum has come loose, spring or clip broke and is sitting in there. When you back up sometimes it gets lodged against the drum. I would pull the drums and have a look, probably time for new shoes anyways.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Planned on doing an oil change and inspection this weekend.

Drum brakes are my automotive downfall. Any write up's around here?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like one of the pins that hold the brake shoes to the backing plate have broken, likely on the rear shoe. Or one of the springs holding the rear shoes.

Also check to see if the shoes are in the right spot.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Planned on doing an oil change and inspection this weekend.

Drum brakes are my automotive downfall. Any write up's around here?

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?336-Rebuilding-Rear-Drums

Get a good rebuild kit for the proper size drum and cylinders for both sides. I just rebuilt my drums last weekend with no experience or knowledge on the subject. Just follow the write-up, take LOTS of "before" pics, and do one side at a time so you can look at the other side as a reference. Also get the drum brake spring removal/installation tool.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you value your eyes and fingers...... Get a brake spring tool.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you value your eyes and fingers...... Get a brake spring tool.

I've never been able to use them on my truck. I just install the springs before putting the pads on the truck then pull the pads apart to get them in their respective places