noise when rpm drops from around 1900 to 1400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
93 k1500 4.3 tbi, I'm getting a playing card in the spokes kind of sound when my engine rpm drops through the 1900-1400 range. It sounds valve train related to me. Has anyone had this problem? Any advice/suggestions on how to pinpoint the exact cause and how to fix? Also, I get a valve or lifter tap from #4 cylinder when the engine is cold but once it warms up the tap goes away. Thanks in advance for any replies.

yeehoo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what AIR system means. It has a functioning A/c system noise is regardless of whether ac is on or off. Its a reman with 2k miles on it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AIR = Air Injection Reaction = atmospheric air pumped into exhaust stream under certain conditions, promotes continued burning of Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Hydrocarbons (HC) in the exhaust. Not all trucks had AIR. Most used a mechanical, belt-driven pump. Some had an electric pump.