New to me truck with issues! Advice??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tequilatool

Reaction score
Hi folks, just bought my first big truck, 1998 sierra 4x4 5.7 ext cab. Ok, so here goes, i reckon the front driverside took a hit at some point as the wheel sits at a funny angle. Looked at the lower control arm but it looks ok, doesnt look bent. The upper control arm cam bolt may solve it a bit by turning the cam on the bolt as its adjusted completely the wrong way. I noticed its had a new wing which makes me think its been hit. Anyhow, is it worth a new lower control arm to be sure? I am just about to take the whole front end apart and renew all the bushings n ball joints. The truck drives smooth and quiet on the highway but off road is a whole different ball game. It clunks, rattles and squeaks, big time. Major knocking right under my feet when driving it on bumpy stuff, Steering seems ok and tight despite the front wheel leaning out at the top, in at the bottom. Not much tyre wear on it as of now but i know it will get worse soon.

Needs shocks, and i noticed the rubber bump stop is awol too, very bouncy. Needs calipers as the bleed nuts are shot, right now, brake pedal goes to the floor with no stopping power after my mechanic changed the rear drums and pads but couldnt bleed the fronts due to the shot bleed screws. Also hear hissing when brake pedal depressed, (nearly as depressed as me) :(. No more mechanic as i got it back worse than when i gave him it. I aint even got tools, so its a new socket set this weekend, along with whatever else i can get for ball joints etc.

Should i get stock bushings or polys? New LCA ?? Are there bushings which commonly fail giving me this clanking under my feet? Gonna be autozone trips for me as im in mexico with only a small amount of spanish under my belt. Ive been reading about torsion bars and cranking etc, still lots of thread left on the keys, rear end of the truck sits a hell of a lot higher than the front. Also i saw a drip of coolant underneath the starter bolt, intake manifold gasket?? I have not driven it much due to all the crap thats wrong with it but have noticed the coolant tank goin down, willing to fix it tho as i got it cheaper than normal. Is it worth buying a haynes manual?

Sorry for all the questions, im a newbie to big trucks. Feel sorry now for selling my old toyota shorty, had it 5 years, 260k miles on it, never a big issue. Now i have this v8 beasty with a host of stuff wrong with it. Help,any and all advice, tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ry