New engine for 93 blazer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bcampbsh

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am restoring my 1993 k1500 blazer. I have had it for 16 years. After tracking down discontinued interior trim pieces and getting way to good at using epoxy on those I couldn't find. I have finally made it to the engine restore.

The stock L05-k has been fantastic. Still running strong with 300k+ miles. But I would like more torque in my new engine. I've decided between a few options. I'm in Cali so "smog"legal only. That means stuff they can't see is OK.

First- a brand new GM L05 crate. Either keep it as is. Or put in a mild cam and take the extra 15-20 lbs of torque. Obviously the easiest, less issues option.

Second- a brand new L31 engine. With the gmpp TBI to vortec intake. Have to plumb EGR but should yield 20-30+ hp/lb for similar price as L05 and cam.

Third- is this engine

http://www.blueprintengines.com/ind...anding/gm-383-truck-suv-main/item/gm-383-base

I talked to techs at blueprint and went over most issues I could think of with thier 383. They were very helpful and even went over some of the changes needed in the new chip.
Only thing is will it be a lemon or a good engine?

They were confident it would run well with only their chip tune. Maybe a up in injector pressure.

Any helpful hints or opinions? Been searching the interwebs for months now. Read most all tips and tricks.

Looking for 340-400lbs torque. Don't care much about high rpm HP.

Any info be great thanks!