Need some info on paint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm looking to finally color-match my grill. I think it'll look good. I'm not sure if I wanna do my mirrors though.

Now. The questions.

What brand of paint? I've been looking at Dupli-Color, but I don't know which one of their paint lines to use for the grill.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/

I also want to paint my brake calipers and drums, but I think I can figure all of that out. I wanna also repaint the undercoating in my fenders with the Dupli-Color undercoat stuff. My questions regarding that are whether I have to get rid of all of the old undercoat or not. There's still some in there.

I wanna paint my valve covers as well. I'm not sure whats all entailed with that, so guidance would be nice there.

On top of that, I want to paint my skid plates that come with the Z71 package. How would I do that? And I want to paint my a-arms and tie-rods and stuff. What would I do to do that? Could I do that with all of it on the truck or would I be better off pulling it off to do a good job?

Here's some pics of the truck so you guys can judge. The running boards have been removed though.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

midnightblue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would go to a body shop for that grille. thats where you get the high quality paint. you may also consider buying a new grille and seeing if you can find a non-chrome one to color match as paint never really likes to stick to chrome. not sure on the other stuff. personally i wouldnt waste my time on the a arms and skid plate.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would go to a body shop for that grille. thats where you get the high quality paint. you may also consider buying a new grille and seeing if you can find a non-chrome one to color match as paint never really likes to stick to chrome. not sure on the other stuff. personally i wouldnt waste my time on the a arms and skid plate.

There's been a couple guys on here that have done their grills with dupli-color and its turned out pretty good. I'm gonna be sanding the chrome down to make it rough anyway. The reason I want to try it is, my grill is damaged. So I wanna try it, see if I like it, and then when I get the money for a new grill, I can decide if I wanna go chrome or painted.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Use the Duplicolor perfect match for the grill.

Sand or scotchbrite the grill until ALL of the chrome is dull, spray a couple coats of filler primer, and use the perfect match.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use the Duplicolor perfect match for the grill.

Sand or scotchbrite the grill until ALL of the chrome is dull, spray a couple coats of filler primer, and use the perfect match.

Awesome. Does anyone know what the product number for Olympic White is? Lol