My truck was broken into in an attempt to steal it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Cunningham

heavy chevy
Reaction score
My sliding window was broken as well as ignition and steering wheel. I would like to go through my GM dealer, is this a good idea or not. What would you recommend and will it be hard to find gm parts.
Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• 100_2268.JPG
    100_2268.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2267.JPG
    100_2267.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 100_2268.JPG
    100_2268.JPG
    281.1 KB · Views: 55

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear about that! Can you still get your key into the ignition? You need to be able to do that to remove the old tumbler unit. If not, I would go to a junkyard or ebay or something and find a whole column that has a matching key. Same with the rear window, those should be pretty common and easy to replace yourself. Lucky it wasnt the whole back window or side window

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That sucks big time! I'm surprised in a way that someone wanted to steal a stick truck (since most thieves can't drive a manual). But the wrecking yard may be your best bet on parts.
I think in my parts stash I have a pair of the column shrouds, but they're for an automatic column....
I believe when @kennythewelder converted his '97 to floor shift, he made a filler piece for the column, for the hole where the automatic shifter goes, though, so it might not be too difficult to fabricate one.
If you haven't found the shrouds by the end of this coming week, PM me and I'll see what I have. I'd send them to you for shipping costs if you need them (and I'm remembering correctly that I have a pair!). Most trucks in our yards are theft recoveries and the columns are trashed, but every once in a while I find a decent one.....and I'm hoping to get a yard run in next week!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sucks big time! I'm surprised in a way that someone wanted to steal a stick truck (since most thieves can't drive a manual). But the wrecking yard may be your best bet on parts.
I think in my parts stash I have a pair of the column shrouds, but they're for an automatic column....
I believe when @kennythewelder converted his '97 to floor shift, he made a filler piece for the column, for the hole where the automatic shifter goes, though, so it might not be too difficult to fabricate one.
If you haven't found the shrouds by the end of this coming week, PM me and I'll see what I have. I'd send them to you for shipping costs if you need them (and I'm remembering correctly that I have a pair!). Most trucks in our yards are theft recoveries and the columns are trashed, but every once in a while I find a decent one.....and I'm hoping to get a yard run in next week!
I just cut a piece of rubber gasket material and glued it in place, to cover the hole. It works fine, but being mine is an automatic trans, I did away with the. ( hold the brake pedal to shift, lock mechanism), and I had to cut the column shifter handle, and insert the tail end in place, to hold the OE shifter mechanism on the column in Park. It moved out of park, at first, then I couldn't get the key, out of the ignition. The safety neutral switch, is on the trans, I think. It still works. So my truck has to be in P or N to start it, but you can kill it in any gear, and take out the key. Also, when I start the truck up, I no longer have to hold the brake pedal to shift it into gear. That works great when it's cold outside, and my RPM, are a still a little high. I shift it into gear at say 1000 RPMs and the truck doesn't jurk, BC it's going directly into gear, with no restrictions. It's very flat land where I live, so it's never an issue.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My sliding window was broken as well as ignition and steering wheel. I would like to go through my GM dealer, is this a good idea or not. What would you recommend and will it be hard to find gm parts.
Thanks
Steve
Bodyshops do many theft recovery repairs such as this. Might be more cost effective than a stealership service dept..

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their idea's. I am unable to get my key in the ignition. I realize that I need another column.

Mine still has the pass lock and that's the reason why they couldn't start the truck. It's still sitting in the driveway I need to get it towed.

I will be doing that soon.
At least Passlock did something good for once!

Steve Cunningham

heavy chevy
Reaction score
Dennis says he can fix the column the way it is without replacing the key. I had it towed to his shop and he started on it yesterday. I live 40 miles from Toronto and their have been a lot of truck thefts in the area.

Thanks HWB for your offer, will see how things turnout.