My setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

By null at 2011-03-01

By null at 2011-03-01

By null at 2011-03-01

By null at 2011-03-01

By null at 2011-03-01

Kenwood Deck, amp, a jbl and a ****** sub (for now)
Custom Carputer:
15" touchscreen monitor, 1.6ghz intel atom processor, 1gb ddr2 ram, 160gb hdd (***** an intel netop for this.. entire comp is 6"x6"x1/2" windows xp, microsoft streets and trips 2010 (with gps reciever). scan xl scanner, elm scan 327 reciever. running a 350w dc-ac converter.

switches on the dash are: air bags, ABS, Lights, power inverter.

any questions, just ask

drisco

Reaction score
do you forsee any issues using a regular hard drive in a vehicle? I've always been curious if you can use a regular hard drive in an automotive environment or if solid state is the only way to go.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
do you forsee any issues using a regular hard drive in a vehicle? I've always been curious if you can use a regular hard drive in an automotive environment or if solid state is the only way to go.

nope, shouldnt cause a problem, its a laptop hardrive, so its built to take the little bit of vibration and whatnot they work pretty good

Klumpper

Reaction score
I'd beg to differ.... It will work, but it may not be the most robust design. If you go that route, and it will suffice to some extent, back them up or don't be afraid to break one/restore/recover from other source from time to time.

Interior automotive electronics are rated for a wider temperature span. Humidity will also be a factor you'll watch for, and lastly, vibrations from a vehicle aren't nice to the disk drives. I've destroyed several while out tuning vehicles, which really blows when you're up in the mountains.

Toshiba makes a few disk drives that are rated for automotive use, I'm sure there are others that do as well.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
ya ssd is better but i've had this standard hdd for over a year now. no problems, and we do get cold weather, condensation and such here too

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think a carputer would be sweet but I don't really like that big screen sitting there. It looks out of place. What do you use your HU for if you've got a carputer? I would take the HU out and put in the biggest touchscreen that would fit in that opening.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I run radio on the HU and i just have the Aux in on the HU hooked up to the spkr out on the comp.. screen is a little big for my liking as well, and it does look outta place, but i got it for 90$

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run radio on the HU and i just have the Aux in on the HU hooked up to the spkr out on the comp.. screen is a little big for my liking as well, and it does look outta place, but i got it for 90$
Do you have your door speakers running off of an amp? or just your subs? I've heard of lots of people who will run a carputer and that takes the place of the HU. they just connect the outputs of a sound card to the inputs of their amps. There are also really nice programs where you can control crossovers, equalizers, time alignment, and stuff like that and your carputer turns into a really really powerful signal processor. It makes it really easy to tune an "active" system which means the signal is divided between the tweeters, mids, and subs before it is amplified. That requires a channel of amplification per speaker but it is a super flexible set up that one can tune to sound really really good.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
hey look, someone else who is unlucky enough to have the same fugly ass burgundy interior as me

I know, its the worst... and theres really nothing we can do about it, unless we drop a pile of dough and time into it.

Do you have your door speakers running off of an amp? or just your subs? I've heard of lots of people who will run a carputer and that takes the place of the HU. they just connect the outputs of a sound card to the inputs of their amps. There are also really nice programs where you can control crossovers, equalizers, time alignment, and stuff like that and your carputer turns into a really really powerful signal processor. It makes it really easy to tune an "active" system which means the signal is divided between the tweeters, mids, and subs before it is amplified. That requires a channel of amplification per speaker but it is a super flexible set up that one can tune to sound really really good.

yeah, my setup is a little ghetto, speakers run off the HU, subs off the amp, i have 1 of the rear speakers not working now too. i have plans of cleaning the whole installation up a bit, just have many other things in line infront of it.