My 1997 GMC 1500 Z71 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its been a little while since ive been here, but here are the changes that happened recently.
Added zero rates to the front to help level it out.
You must be registered for see images attach

Doing so caused my front drive shaft not to clear at all. So I had to do something about that. Installed a clocking ring, but didn't seal it well enough. Got on rockauto and got transmission-transfer case gaskets. One gasket on each side of the clocking ring, and permatex on both sides of both gaskets. Lets say it doesn't leak anymore lol.

Clocking the transfer case to 24 degrees made for just enough clearance for my driveshaft. Unfortunately the transmission cross member had to be cut to accommodate for the clocking of the transfer case.

After the front was done and operational, it was onto the 14 bolt and 4.10 gear install. With the right tools, it was actually pretty easy.

With operational 4x4, I just did a little hill crawling around us with Horns, does pretty good. Just a picture from the mini-meet-up we had.

Crawling through our fourwheeler path that goes through a creek

After all of this, had to put the truck to work and lay the Yukon down to rest. 4.10s and 35s actually pull really nice.

And the final picture before it got parked again and I headed back to school. Wish I had time to hand wash it, but a car wash does alright.

And that's how it sits right now somewhere around my house. With all the wheeling I did, I tore up the front axles u joints, so I have to install them this weekend. I also put new calipers on the Dana 44. Wow, theyre pricey. Just have a few small things to do, then back to major things like shocks and exhaust.

Last edited:

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Apparently the truck defies gravity now.. Not sure why that picture is upside down..

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Would you go 4.56s if you could or are 4.10s good enough?

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got dual steering stabilizers. They help quite a bit!

And future plans in the works for it

Reaction score
Wow dude I just went through the whole build and you've come a long way, the truck looks bad@ss! I can't wait to see that cummins in there :smokin: