Maybe a Noob ECM Question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just now joined this site hoping to get an answer. I was walking thru my local Junkyard lookin for parts when i came across a few ECMs
that were opened and had a chip removed. Why does someone just pull that and not take the entire ECM? What is the chips purpose?:help:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The chip holds the calibration for the particular vehicle. Its the BJLH you see on the sticker.

Someone either needed that calibration for thier vehicle or bought the "chip" itself for "tuning" as they are no longer available from gm or prohibitively expensive if you do find one.

However, its far more likely someone popped it open and pocketed the chip.

IOW: they stole it.

Much easier to get the chip out of the yard instead of the whole ecm.

The ecm itself is relatively cheap in comparison. The chip enables gm to use one ecm across multiple vehicles.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The chip holds the calibration for the particular vehicle. Its the BJLH you see on the sticker.

Someone either needed that calibration for thier vehicle or bought the "chip" itself for "tuning" as they are no longer available from gm or prohibitively expensive if you do find one.

However, its far more likely someone popped it open and pocketed the chip.

IOW: they stole it.

Much easier to get the chip out of the yard instead of the whole ecm.

The ecm itself is relatively cheap in comparison. The chip enables gm to use one ecm across multiple vehicles.

Awesome. So your saying I can swap my v8 tbi chip in place of a
V6 tbi ecm and it would run as if it were my original entire ecm?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Awesome. So your saying I can swap my v8 tbi chip in place of a
V6 tbi ecm and it would run as if it were my original entire ecm?

Ecm part numbers have to match for the chip to work. Its the "serv. no." on the tag.