Losing oil in ti 350 - risks to continue driving it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm hoping my mechanic does this sort of problem solving while he's got. I'm definitely going to try that through the vacuum hose. Once the new Dist, coil are in, the whole ignition system will have been replaced so I would think I could rule out a misfire.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm hoping my mechanic does this sort of problem solving while he's got. I'm definitely going to try that through the vacuum hose. Once the new Dist, coil are in, the whole ignition system will have been replaced so I would think I could rule out a misfire.
Yes assuming that your fuel delivery is good, there are no vacuum leaks, and there are no mechanical issues. But these are pretty simple motors and hard to kill. I have been wanting a excuse to pull mine and swap something with more power but the darn thing just keeps ticking. Hell I accidently ran mine out of oil a couple weeks ago, long enough to collapse a lifter. All I did was put more oil in and its good as new lol.

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the truck back. New shocks are on, seems to run a little stronger with the new coil and distributor. The throttle body gasket was replaced to fix a vacuum leak and as a result the idle is MUCH smoother. Still has little bit of a shake, but barely noticeable. I'm chalking it up to carbon on the pistons. Going to run her about 900 miles the next week, so ill be pumping the seafood through it to try and clear some of it out. Final thing I need to address is I still have an intermittent squalk from one of the pulley (belt is brand new). Sprayed some lube behind the water pump pulley and the idler pulley and it seemed to fix it. I'll keep an ear out for it on my trip.

Here are the results of my compression test:

1-245 2-260
3-235 4-260
5-245 6-260
7-245 8-265

235(lowest)/265(highest)= a difference of 12%. Sound ok?

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the truck back. New shocks are on, seems to run a little stronger with the new coil and distributor. The throttle body gasket was replaced to fix a vacuum leak and as a result the idle is MUCH smoother. Still has little bit of a shake, but barely noticeable. I'm chalking it up to carbon on the pistons. Going to run her about 900 miles the next week, so ill be pumping the seafood through it to try and clear some of it out. Final thing I need to address is I still have an intermittent squalk from one of the pulley (belt is brand new). Sprayed some lube behind the water pump pulley and the idler pulley and it seemed to fix it. I'll keep an ear out for it on my trip.

Here are the results of my compression test:

1-245 2-260
3-235 4-260
5-245 6-260
7-245 8-265

235(lowest)/265(highest)= a difference of 12%. Sound ok?
Sounds good but where are the other 4 cyl.?

kmehr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been thinking some more about my compression, and what the results mean. It's gotta be a big build up of carbon, and makes total sense that it would be enough to cause a rough idle and spark knock. My grandfather has owned the truck since new. He quit driving it on the road in 98 when it had 105k on it, and then just used it around the farm. this means in 14 years it traveled about 7K miles or about 500/year, probably never got up to operating temp, and never went over 15 mph. so if carbon is the by product of unburned fuel, the last 14 years of it's life were just a recipe for caking on carbon. I'm going to do a TEC/seafoam cleanse tomorrow and start cleaning her out. I think that's gotta be the solution.