Looking to Manual swap my '91 k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My first thread here on this forum, just looking for advise.

I'm 17, and my first car was my grandfathers 91 silverado, and he's given it to me, and I'm looking at replacing the motor (has 265k mi on it), and was thinking of swapping the auto transmission to a manual as well, since I do enjoy driving stick. Was just looking to see what trans y'all would suggest putting in it. I would like to put something in it that is a little more performance oriented too, not just an OEM trans from the manual version of my truck, since I think I might be looking at putting a bit more power on it later down the road.

Also, if I swap to manual, would I be able to keep the 4x4, or would I be forced to go to RWD?

Thanks in advance.

L29Sub

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can remain 4x4. Probably use the existing transfer case. You need a complete manual donor from similar gmt. All sorts will bolt up.
Be careful with flywheels.
And the best option is a good NV3500 4x4. Transmission donor must be for 4WD.
Her ready for a tidy bit of work. Gotta roll the dash, redrill the crossmember, and use a lot of profanity. But, it will fit.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk