Looking for a cheap (read: Good but affordable) Welder; opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to get a welder (I don't mind used/refurbs) for home use. It's main purpose will be for making custom brackets (for the truck, house, and fencing), exhaust work, and whatever else. I know nothing about welding, or what general thicknesses I should be looking at. I do know I want it to be both gas and flux core wire fed.

From what I have read, people suggest getting a typical 220v as they are easier to come by and can weld thicker metal. I thought I wanted to get 115V but they seem to be more expensive (I guess you pay for the convenience), but would it be easier to pick up a used 220v and having a 220v line wired in at my house, rather than paying for a 115v?

This is something I will only use a handful of times a year probably - so I don't need anything fancy or name brand. I would like to stay around $300~ (or under, lol).

Thanks,

brycebba

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know people might laugh but I bought the 90 dollar welder from Harbor freight and I love the thing. It doesn't do the cleanest welds like mig or tig but you can always grind them down if it bothers you. I have read that people had problems with spatter but that getting good quality flux core made it weld great. The best part for me is I just plug it in. I don't have to remember to fill gas or anything.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get the 180 amp mig from harbor freight its just under $300 it works well for welding up to 1/4" steel