Limp mode HELP guys!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe my trans is in limp mode guys this is what it does..
No first gear at all period..
Starts in 3rd gear while in D
Can manually shift to 2nd to start of then put it in drive an it shifts 3rd them 4th them lock up
When i WOT it it will only downshift to 3rd period.. Plz help guys shes my DD tom at work im hooking up the scan tool to hopefully see if its a shift solenoid or line pressure sensor or something i hope

Vortec powered iphone:D

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I understood that limp mode in most if not all GMs is where it stays in 2nd gear or doesn't shift past 2nd. My trans (4L60e) went out a few months ago and it wouldn't shift past 2nd.

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
12. Car goes into gear but feels very sluggish like the brakes are dragging, but it will roll easily (starts out in 4th gear), you manually shift to 2 to get it moving, once it's moving you put it back in OD and the car shifts 3rd to 4th on its own and locks the converter at the appropriate time: ShiftB solenoid failed: A wiring problem from PCM to transmission or PCM.

This is the closest to what mine is doing i believ my shift B soleniod is out i have 2nd 3rd and 4th but no 1st gear period it will also start in 3rd or 4th i cant really tell but i can shift manually into only 2nd and gettin going pretty easiy ( i guess bc of my 4:10's) then put it in drive and it will goin into 3rd and 4th an lockup by itself.. If i wot it it will only downshift to 3rd period lol thanks for yalls helps guys!!:D

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I understood that limp mode in most if not all GMs is where it stays in 2nd gear or doesn't shift past 2nd. My trans (4L60e) went out a few months ago and it wouldn't shift past 2nd.

It was the ignition wasnt it?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Pull the DTC's.

OBDII trucks have a fairly extensive list of transmission related codes.

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on it right at lunch today our shop has a scanner that will read anything so ill hook it up and see

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nvm i dont think i have 3rd just 2nd and 4th

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was the ignition wasnt it?

It had to be completely rebuilt. The shop I took it to just got a fully rebuilt trans from another shop that does transmissions. So the one in it now isn't the one that went out. I knew it needed to be rebuilt before it went out because it was slipping real bad where it would shift hard sometimes, usually after being on the interstate or highway. Then one day it completely went out and it wouldn't shift past 2nd.

chevyman("

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lol funny thing im just getting mine rebuilt also i took it to really reliable tranny man and he said he believes one of the springs or something internal has broke.. So im just gonna get it fully rebuilt! On another note what is something i can improve on my 4l60e besides the vette servo and shift kit that will make it hold up?