LED interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LIKEAROCK95

Reaction score
I am new to the site and this is my first post so bear with me. I have pretty much swapped all of the stock lights out and put LEDs in as their replacement but now I am stuck. I can't figure out how to get to the ash tray light and I can't figure out how to replace the push button lights beside the dome light. I removed one of them and for the life of me I can't get it back on. Thanks in advance for any help.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
For the ash tray light you'll have to remove the knee bolster panel underneath the dash. Disconnect the park brake release cable, remove four 7mm screws under the panel, then pry away the clips at the top of the panel. Once you do that, there are four clips that hold in the ash tray assembly. Pry those out, then the whole thing slides out.

What do you mean by the push buttons? The AC buttons or door panel buttons? If you pulled those without the whole unit, you dun goofed.

Sent from my Nintendo 64

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's the square dome light with the rectangular map lights on the sides then they're held in with small metal clips that grab the loops on the bulbs. Just squeeze the two metal contacts in and hook the loops, then release pressure and the bulb should stay there.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
Map lights have to be installed from the top, pop the cover off of the dome light and take the 2 screw out then the dome light pops out then you put the new bulbs over the prongs and reinstall

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
The map/reading lights in my 1996 Suburban can be removed by push in and 1/4 turn counter-clockwise. -I think it's a 1/4 turn, it might be less. They're a pain because it tough to get any leverage. Also putting them back in is a pain. You pretty much have to have clean, grease free fingers.

I think they're the type you have because you said you got one out, but can't get it back in(It's really helpful to include some year and model info). There's a little bulb inside the reflector. You can change the bulb once you have the reflector out. I think there's a torx screw involved also in getting the bulb out of the reflector. 1/4(or so) turn clockwise should get it back in.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's the rectangle housing one then. As 96k1500 said the map lights you're talking about have to be installed from the top, I forgot about that as I swapped mine quite a while ago. Otherwise my earlier answer still applies. You remove those screws and the entire dome light housing drops out of the roof.

96k1500

Ballin on a budget
Reaction score
It's the rectangle housing one then. As 96k1500 said the map lights you're talking about have to be installed from the top, I forgot about that as I swapped mine quite a while ago. Otherwise my earlier answer still applies. You remove those screws and the entire dome light housing drops out of the roof.

I just changed mine and went full led interior 3 days ago haha