L29 Replacing Fuel Injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedBurb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record I completed this injector swap out job in 4.5 hours which included changing the pressure regulator. It was an easy and straight forward job.

Results ---the engine feels much more responsive, has a smoother idle, and ever more importantly, I've picked up approximately 2.4 miles per gallon over the last 300 miles (now 13.5 mpg, 95% freeway miles, cruise control set @ 65mph). If this bump in fuel economy holds true over the next + hundreds of miles the job will have been totally worth the effort. I also learned a lot about properly installing a new dizzy (notes on thread, "L29 Accel Distributor 59132 ---Tight Fit").

For those who run the 5.7L, this mpg for a 7.4L is not too shabby considering the truck's heft ---loaded with towing tools + gear my K2500 Suburban typically weighs 6800-6950 lbs.

Last edited:

MechMike

Reaction score
For the record I completed this injector swap out job in 4.5 hours which included changing the pressure regulator. It was an easy and straight forward job.

Results ---the engine feels much more responsive, has a smoother idle, and ever more importantly, I've picked up approximately 2.4 miles per gallon over the last 300 miles (now 13.5 mpg, 95% freeway miles, cruise control set @ 65mph). If this bump in fuel economy holds true over the next + hundreds of miles the job will have been totally worth the effort. I also learned a lot about properly installing a new dizzy (notes on thread, "L29 Accel Distributor 59132 ---Tight Fit").

For those who run the 5.7L, this mpg for a 7.4L is not too shabby considering the truck's heft ---loaded with towing tools + gear my K2500 Suburban typically weighs 6800-6950 lbs.
What injectors did you replace with?

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One thing I have to add to anyone doing this, if you have the dizzy out you should consider replacing the oil pump drive shaft to a heavy duty one. The oe has plastic ring that keeps it from sliding sideways. Mine broke. Machine shop has an all steel heavy duty one in stock