It runs...but still an issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
So I got the engine back together on my C1500 and it seems to be running pretty good eventhough it has set a P1345. I set the distributor to the best of my ability and followed the post linked in this forum on how to set it. Despite that, it seems to be close enough to run properly until I can take it to my local shop.

That's not what I'm concerned about. There is still a lot of white smoke coming out the exhaust and I'm not sure if is residual coolant left in the exhuast from the head gasket blew a few weeks ago, or if coolant is some how getting into the exhuast. I was letting it run for nearly 20 minutes and the thermostat was barely starting to open vs a few weeks ago where it quickly hit 260 after a couple of minutes.

I should have checked the oil for coolant contamination(I did change the oil before starting) but I'm at work now, so that will have to wait till tomorrow.

Any ideas what's going on?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The last coolant contaminated exhaust with a fresh engine I installed and ran, blew white smoke for nearly an hour before it cleared up.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
And they along with the O2 sensors are now suspect. If it doesn't set any codes about it you're probably fine though I would replace the upstream ones as a matter of course.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. The catalyst may/may not survive it's bath. The sensors may/may not survive.

And, yes, it will steam out the tailpipe for far longer than most folks expect. Probably take some highway miles to clear it all out. Higher load, higher volume of exhaust gas = higher exhaust-pipe and converter temperature = faster boiling of the water.

WATCH THE COOLANT LEVEL, in both the overflow tank and the actual radiator tank.

Fifteen minutes with a scan tool, and a distributor wrench should take care of your code.

81nascar

Reaction score
Yep, get it HOT!! Will take some time .. Unless you drove around a long time before you fixed it. If the cats were exposed to coolant for a long time (like days of driving around) then they may be compromised.. Go hit the highway for a while..

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
With the truck having 422K, I'm sure the cats are at the end of their lifespan. I was planning on replacing them, along with a complete exhaust system upgrade/update. Looks like I'll need to replace those much sooner...