Is this normal? Feels like my truck is just too weak....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I say it's your gearing. Mine is 2wd but will spin in mud all day and its a V6. But it has 3.42s and 235/75R15s. They measure around 28s.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I have no power issues in those situations and our trucks are pretty much the same except for the gears. You really need gears 4:56 or higher. Can you do a burn out on the street with a little brake?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I honestly bet between the lack of power high gears and big tires your torque converter is likely slipping some as well.

I can tell you my 88 never wanted to spin with the TBI350, 700R4, 3.73s and 35s. The change to a NV4500 fixed that which lead me to believe the auto trans slippage and parasitic loss was just too much for that amount of tire.

The upgrade to 4.56s also helped a ton.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
2 words... Stall Converter
more info!!! sounds expensive!
I have no power issues in those situations and our trucks are pretty much the same except for the gears. You really need gears 4:56 or higher. Can you do a burn out on the street with a little brake?
I really want 4.56's... those are my next purchase considering the fact i will be running 38's before june... I dont want to kill my trans :headbang:
I honestly bet between the lack of power high gears and big tires your torque converter is likely slipping some as well.

I can tell you my 88 never wanted to spin with the TBI350, 700R4, 3.73s and 35s. The change to a NV4500 fixed that which lead me to believe the auto trans slippage and parasitic loss was just too much for that amount of tire.

The upgrade to 4.56s also helped a ton.

Mine has plenty of power at take-off,,,, i just cant peel rubber unless I neutral drop it.. which I have only done once. Idk.. for a truck that has a 5.7 v8, its very weak... Lol

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
If your planning on running 38's you BETTER get 5.13's. I have 4.56's and with the 35's I can spin them ok, but in thick stuff I need 4lo. The Boggers needed 4lo a bunch! When I had 33's I could spin all 4 up to 60mph in 4hi in any type of mud.

BiGUgly

Reaction score
You should wheel in 4 lo anyways is what I've always been told by my jeep buddies

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your planning on running 38's you BETTER get 5.13's. I have 4.56's and with the 35's I can spin them ok, but in thick stuff I need 4lo. The Boggers needed 4lo a bunch! When I had 33's I could spin all 4 up to 60mph in 4hi in any type of mud.

This! If planning on 38's in the future go deeper then 4.56 gears. I could really tell the drain on 38's and 4.56 when in OD and when needing to reverse in the deep mud, forward was no problem.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My lockup stall converter ran me 140 bucks. You could probably install one in your truck without completely dropping the trans. My 98 has the full circle bell housing so it was a major pain. It really helps the takeoff power, especially off road in reverse. I would STRONGLY suggest a front seal if you already have it down that far. A stall that high does take a little getting used to in town and what not. 2500 is not terribly high but if you drive in town a lot i'd suggest a 2000-2100 or so. If its used mostly off road then the 2500 would add a little more takeoff power. You want your stall speed about 500 rpm under your max torque rpm to get the most power to the ground, any more than that and you are wasting your power band. Any other questions about this I'll be glad to answer. You do want to be sure you get a lockup converter so your 3rd gear and OD work properly at highway speeds.