Is my transmission toast?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I posted this on another forum but didn't get a lot of responses...

I had a nasty transmission leak for a while that would leak out of the inspection cover of the trans. After talking it over with multiple mechanics we came to the conclusion that it was a front pump seal that was causing the leak. Being that the truck has 160k everyone said that I was better off rebuilding the pump. Shops wanted around $600 to do the whole job and since I had access to a lift and a buddy willing to help I ordered a rebuilt unit from Bowtie Overdrives and decided to do it myself.

First time dropping a transmission and it went pretty well. The pump was easy to install and we were very careful to make sure we kept everything clean and installed properly. Long story short we got everything bolted back together fired it up and refilled it with 8 quarts of ATF. I told my buddy to make sure he hooked up that TV cable which he did and then we topped it off. We then noticed the dipstick was wrapped about the tv cable so we disconnected the tv cable moved the dipstick over topped off the tranny and decided to take it back to my house. My buddy drove the truck and about half way to my house (2 miles) he called me and said the 1-2 shift seemed kinda funny. I asked him if he made sure to re-hook the tv cable and we realized he didn't. We pulled over and snapped the cable back on and finished driving back to my house.

When we got there he said it still didn't feel like it was shifting right and wanted me to test it out. I jumped in and pulled onto the road and could tell immediately the transmission was slipping and revving real high before shifting. I immediately pulled into a driveway and proceeded to turn around. Reverse wouldn't engage unless I revved the motor, I limped it back in the driveway and shut it down for the night (it was 2am and we had been at it since 12pm).

I had to work all day but when I got home it was dark and I decided to fire it up and check it out. Reverse engaged no problem and doesn't seem to be slipping. Drive engages and then slips a little as you rev it and then kinda clunks in as you rev.

I'm realize we made a big mistake by not hooking up and adjusting to tv cable right away and that's the first thing I'm going to do when I get out of work tomorrow and it's still daylight. The question is do you think I fried the trans? Also do you think this is the reason for the way the transmission is acting? Could it be anything else causing these issues? I'm really bummed out if the transmission is burned up because we really tried to make sure we did everything by the book.

Sorry for the super long post but I wanted to thoroughly describe what we did/what happened. If I did burn the tranny up what's the going rate for a shop to do a bench rebuild of the 700r4?

***UPDATE*** So I got out of work and did a tv cable adjustment by following this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQlCkb_eIpA

Took it for a spin and it didn't slip but it wouldn't shift from 1-2 until i let off the gas and it wouldn't shift from 3-4 until I left off the gas as well. Also the torque converter doesn't seem to be locking up when I get around 55-60. Any help is appreciated.

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TV Cable still isn't adjusted properly if it won't shift til you let up.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think i may need a new cable then. I adjusted it like the video said but I noticed that when I pulled the slider out and then had the throttle wide open and pushed the slider bak in that the cable moved behind the bracket and didn't really seem to tighten up the slack.

zraffz

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a horrible time trying to adjust the one on the Nova. I thought the monster trans was just a turd for a few hours.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered a new cable from rock auto. I have a feeling this one got stretched when we pulled the trans

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tonight I messed with the truck some more and I finally found the correct way to adjust the tv cable and the truck is shifting 100% better. It's not slipping and the shifts are nice and firm. Almost like it has a shift kit. Couple of problems still exist. One, my torque converter is not working. The truck is acting like it's in D instead of OD. What could have caused this? Secondly, I still have a leak :bang head: It's dripping out of the inspection cover just like it was before? I obviously mis diagnosed it being a leaky pump seal. What else could it be? Is it the torque converter? Lastly after we pulled the transmission, I noticed a bunch of melted bare wires on the passenger side. They look like the are being melted by the exhaust manifold. They are the wires that connect to the front differential for the actuator I assume. I taped them up and best I could and tried to move them away from the manifold but I looked under the truck again and the new wire looming I put over the wires is already starting to melt. How are these wires supposed to routed. Does anyone have a pic. Coincidentally enough my 4x4 is no longer working

agent319

Reaction score
Tonight I messed with the truck some more and I finally found the correct way to adjust the tv cable and the truck is shifting 100% better. It's not slipping and the shifts are nice and firm. Almost like it has a shift kit.

I was looking for a way to adjust my TV cable as well. Could you post a link?