Installing a leer cap on a stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct place for this thread, but I have a Leer fiberglass cap for my 1991 stepside, and I have no idea how it's supposed to attach to the bed rails. It has a few holes in the rails in the cap, but it didn't come with any hardware, so I am wondering if I just use some butterfly toggle bolts, or some really coarse screws to screw directly into the bed rails? or maybe some brackets that bolt to the fender bolts and then clamp to the cap rails? anyone have any install pics and or instructions?

You must be registered for see images attach

I am in the process of painting it to match closely the truck- spray bomb for now till I decide if it's going to be a permanent fixture

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
my truck is a stepside- there are no bed rails to use clamps on - thats why I was asking.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I have a leer canopy for my 88 stepside. When my grandfather bought the canopy new they removed a couple of the torx bolts on the side panel and installed these aluminum blocks. A second clamp portion bolts to it and clamps the canopy tight to the bed rails without drilling any holes.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my truck is a stepside- there are no bed rails to use clamps on - thats why I was asking.
Ahhh ok.... never had a step side... didn't realize they where in closed like that...interesting.....

sent from what use to be a great country...

dwysywd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drill holes in top cap of rail on inside. Mount hardware. Mount cap to hardware. I will see if I can get a photo of mine. It's a step side.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I have a leer canopy for my 88 stepside. When my grandfather bought the canopy new they removed a couple of the torx bolts on the side panel and installed these aluminum blocks. A second clamp portion bolts to it and clamps the canopy tight to the bed rails without drilling any holes.

That is what I want! I will have to contact the local dealer and see if I can get the clamps...

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
thanks to 88GMCtruck I went to the local dealer and he had 4 of the correct brackets in stock! $25.50 incl tax :)

I got it painted too- used rustoleum Merlot gloss. Its pretty close to the truck color- if it had metallic in it, I think it would be almost perfect. The finish has a few drips and a few wrinkles, but it won't be on all year, and at least it's glossy.

Last edited: