how to hook up sub to stock radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The acc wire feed is the yellow that is found in pin I.The way to test for the feedback loop is to shut off the radio with it's power button.If you get a drone or "motorboat" sound that is the feedback problem.The toggle switch option will work for you to stop it,however it usually creates some turn-on/turn-off thumps.Still better than the other option.Good luck.

My yellow wire is actually in pin 2 position, but based on some diagrams and stuff I just searched for, looks like that is the correct wire.(yellow in pn 2)

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, everything is hooked up, but I must have done something wrong. My guess is that it is my remote wire. I know I have my speakers hooked up correctly. For the power, I didn't run from the battery. I ran from the Aux A post in the relay center under the hood. This is a pretty low powered sub so I don't think this should be an issue. I have it grounded to one of the seat riser frame bolts that goes through the floor.

I'm thinking about just running a test remote wire from the convenience center to the sub to see if that is the issue. If it works from there then I tapped the wrong aux wire in the radio harness.

Open to suggestions. Thanks,

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/wiringdiagrams/1998/Radio-Circuit-WO-Amplifier.pdf

Last edited:

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pin I listed was pin "eye" and yes it is the second pin in,GM references it as pin I.Sorry for the confusion.
Do you have a fuse in AUX A fuse location?

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The pin I listed was pin "eye" and yes it is the second pin in,GM references it as pin I.Sorry for the confusion.
Do you have a fuse in AUX A fuse location?

That is a good question. I didn't insert one so maybe not. The power light on the sub is on, but it's dim. Which slot is the A fuse location?

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a fuse in the Aux A slot. Just went out and the diagram was on the back of the lid where it should be. This shouldn't be the issue.

orangeastre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the light is on dim it sounds like a low voltage problem.I have found in the past that the unused aux studs can get a bit corroded and not provide a good 12volt source.It could also be a weak ground point.Do you have a multi meter?This would aid greatly in troubleshooting.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the light is on dim it sounds like a low voltage problem.I have found in the past that the unused aux studs can get a bit corroded and not provide a good 12volt source.It could also be a weak ground point.Do you have a multi meter?This would aid greatly in troubleshooting.

AUX studs look brand new. I could always hit it with a brush, but I don't think this is the issue. I've got a multimeter, but not sure how to test this. I'd probably be more likely to think my ground is poor. I'll play around with it a little bit more after work tomorrow.

tsoderstrum

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have installed a couple dozen stereo systems in my life and I have always run the power wire directly from the positive lead on the battery. The AUX port should work but you may not be getting enough voltage for the amp to run correctly. Also the seat bolt should work fine as a ground just make sure you remove any paint to ensure good continuity. They sell amp installation kits everywhere and they usually have everything you need including fuses. Also they sell battery terminal bolts that have a second bolt in them specifically for adding extra wires. Those can usually be found at any auto parts store for about $6.

glendayle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an amp installation kit so I have everything. I must have tapped the wring wire for the remote switch or got a poor connection or something. I just ran a test wire to the convenience center for the remote wire and I'm getting the power light now. I still have some other issue. Wondering if I crossed the wires on my hi/low converter. Don't really know how to test that.