How larger tires wear out the suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear people say that larger tires wear ifs pit faster. But my question is, what about the tire causes and faster wear? The weight of the tire, or the height/width. Right now I'm looking at the mickey thompson 36x15.50r20 and it's 90 lbs and the cooper discoverer stt 37x13.50r20 and it's 84 lbs. It's only 6 pounds so not much of a difference. Would anyone wear the suspension any faster than the other? (Side note- they are on 20x14 wheels -76 offset.)

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would say both factors play a part. More weight (technically mass) of the tire puts more stress on the suspension components when they move. Also a wider tire creates a larger contact patch with the road, creating more surface to cause friction so it takes more effort to turn.

mistaake

Reaction score
I was under the impression that suspension lift kits wore out suspension due to changing all the geometry of the suspension system but tires by themselves probably don't make a huge difference. That's what's cool about body lifts. Then again, I might be wrong; I'm not a mechanic.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything that isn't stock will wear out the suspension faster. Lowered or lifted it doesn't matter. The suspension was designed using a specific geometry with a given ride height and tire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Suspension lifts wouldn't do anything to the wear factor, if the tire diameter didn't change. It just so happens people lift their trucks to fit bigger tires (usually). Drop bracket lifts actually keep the suspension geometry in the factory position. Like Chewy1576 said, it's a combination of tire factors that cause the additional wear, primarily mass(weight), and added friction from larger surface areas.

Think about lifting weights. Do 10x3 curls with a 35 lb weights, and you probably won't notice it (too much) the next day. Do 10x3 curls with 75 lb weights (if you can), and your arm is going to be wrecked; more strain on the muscle (muscle = wear parts on the suspension).

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So would the 2 extra inches in width and 10 lbs in weight make a huge difference in my truck wear wise? Keep in mind with whatever tire size I choose I will be getting gears about 2 months later.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
So would the 2 extra inches in width and 10 lbs in weight make a huge difference in my truck wear wise? Keep in mind with whatever tire size I choose I will be getting gears about 2 months later.

Between the 2 tires in your OP, I wouldn't assume you're going to see a vast difference (although I would think the weight would have a greater discrepancy at 2"s different). Obviously the 15.5" wide tires is going to be more added strain than the 13.5". But, those tires in comparison to stock tires... that's a massive difference, and a ton of added wear.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all i got to say is welcome to owning a 4x4 with big tires and lift,keep stuff greased and it'll last longer and when its time to replace front end parts use moog that way you only spend the money once thats if you do your own repairs.In the 8yrs of owning my truck done the ball joints twice.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
One extra pound of weight of the wheels (Un-sprung weight) is equivalent to 3 lbs. of additional weight to the frame/body (sprung weight)
Not only that, but that extra mass is farther out from the hub. Centrifugal forces & all.
Harder on the truck's suspension & steering components when braking & turning.
Also takes more fuel to get that extra weight rolling & to keep it rolling.