Hood hinges denting hood.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
As stated, the hinges seem to have some wobble to them, can't tighten them up anymore because they need to pivot obviously..
I can get pictures of the hood if needed, it is concaved. I believe that's the right word. Anyways, it looks like I could have a puddle of water sitting on each side of my hood.

Anyone else have issues like this? I was talking to a friend about a 2" cowl hood when I noticed mine was dinged. Don't want to buy a brand new one and have it get dented up as well.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As stated, the hinges seem to have some wobble to them, can't tighten them up anymore because they need to pivot obviously..
I can get pictures of the hood if needed, it is concaved. I believe that's the right word. Anyways, it looks like I could have a puddle of water sitting on each side of my hood.

Anyone else have issues like this? I was talking to a friend about a 2" cowl hood when I noticed mine was dinged. Don't want to buy a brand new one and have it get dented up as well.

Usually caused by people throwing the hood open, hinges being sticky to where you have to force it up.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will also confirm it opening at 30 or so mph, my 89 did that and after you know what it looks like after, I notice a lot of 400s that had the same problem.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys just have crappy luck or don't close your hoods completely:think: hell the secondary latch should catch it......

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine happened to me a couple days after i bought it. We were messing around with it and finally got it to start so I "closed the hood" in a hurry and we both jumped into the truck and took off down the road.... pretty damn scary having a hood fly up at ya thinking its going to fly through the windshield.... :nono:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Lubrication. The cheapest form of insurance.

I'll certainly lubricate the hinges, but it seems like the hinges have a lot of side to side play in them.
Maybe I'm just looking for a more obvious reason.

I can see if the hinges were sticky and one side my came up faster than the other, causing a twist/pulling motion and making an indent on the hood... weak. Thanks for the info guys.