Hobie's Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What years did Chevy produce the 3/4 ton Avalanches?
I think it was on the first generation only. '01-06 IIRC. 8.1/4L85e transmission. Being that they were based on the Suburban XL, I "think" those has the 14 bolt 10.5 14 axle.

There was never a 2500 second generation avalanche as far as I know.

And yes, very rare trucks.

Last edited:

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think it was on the first generation only. '01-06 IIRC. 8.1/4L85e transmission. Being that they were based on the Suburban XL, I "think" those has the 14 bolt 10.5 14 axle.

There was never a 2500 second generation avalanche as far as I know.

And yes, very rare trucks.
Yup, I think the Avalanche started in 02, but either way, the 2500s only came in the "body cladding" version, like mine, it has all the ugly plastic. They also had the option of the 6 speed Allison I believe in 04-06. 8.1 was also the only engine option.

Mine does have the FF 10.5 14b with disc brakes.

They are definitely hard to find, and while searching for another Big Block GMT400, I found this, and just couldn't pass it up. Got a good deal on it as well if you ask me

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, I think the Avalanche started in 02, but either way, the 2500s only came in the "body cladding" version, like mine, it has all the ugly plastic. They also had the option of the 6 speed Allison I believe in 04-06. 8.1 was also the only engine option.

They are definitely hard to find, and while searching for another Big Block GMT400, I found this, and just couldn't pass it up. Got a good deal on it as well if you ask me
I'm pretty sure the Allison was not available on the SUVs or the vans. I believe it had to do with it not fitting under the transmission tunnel.

On the 2500HD trucks the frames were deeper than the 2500 frames, so that's why the 2500HD trucks got the Allison with the 8.1.

Still, the 4L85e transmissions are plenty robust. The 5 planetary gear carriers "upgrade" alone in the aftermarket are like $800. I think the input shaft was also upgraded. I'd say it's equivalent to like Level 1 4L80e... probably good for a lot more TQ than what they were factory rated for.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Allison was not available on the SUVs or the vans. I believe it had to do with it not fitting under the transmission tunnel.

On the 2500HD trucks the frames were deeper than the 2500 frames, so that's why the 2500HD trucks got the Allison with the 8.1.

Still, the 4L85e transmissions are plenty robust. The 5 planetary gear carriers "upgrade" alone in the aftermarket are like $800. I think the input shaft was also upgraded. I'd say it's equivalent to like Level 1 4L80e... probably good for a lot more TQ than what they were factory rated for.
Hmm, one of the biggest options I've seen showed the Allison as an option. How true it is, or how much information out there is questionable.. but also looking at it, the floorboard seems to be more closely related to the pickups, but it's kinda a Frankenstein thing, so who really knows.

And yes, the 4l85e is like you said, technically a stage 1 4l80e build. It's quite a stout transmission given what's infront of it.
It's at least good to know that these 4l85s have the 5 planetary carriers, been looking for an affordable one for my 96' build. Might just have to stick with a stock transmission rebuild...

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, one of the biggest options I've seen showed the Allison as an option. How true it is, or how much information out there is questionable.. but also looking at it, the floorboard seems to be more closely related to the pickups, but it's kinda a Frankenstein thing, so who really knows.

And yes, the 4l85e is like you said, technically a stage 1 4l80e build. It's quite a stout transmission given what's infront of it.
It's at least good to know that these 4l85s have the 5 planetary carriers, been looking for an affordable one for my 96' build. Might just have to stick with a stock transmission rebuild...
Well a stock 4L80e is still good for like 500 TQ...how much are you making?

The only Allison SUV I've seen is that guy in Florida building those "Duraburbs" ...with a Duramax, lol. I think he does a body lift to get stuff to work.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well a stock 4L80e is still good for like 500 TQ...how much are you making?

The only Allison SUV I've seen is that guy in Florida building those "Duraburbs" ...with a Duramax, lol. I think he does a body lift to get stuff to work.
Every great story or thing starts with "That man in Florida" lol.

It's a stock engine, so I'm sure I'm within the Ratings. I'd like to get an intake, free flowing exhaust, and a dyno tune, so I might be pushing the limits there, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

It has the FF axle? You sure it's not the SF axle?