Help with stray wiring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave5180

Reaction score
Recently purchased this truck, and the spedometer doesn't work. I started at the transmission for troubleshooting and found out that the wiring for the vss isnt there, not even the connector. I searched further and found this whole loom of wires that isn't connected. None of them have the correct connector for the vss but two of the wires are twisted together and have been cut so I figured it could be what I am looking for. If someone could just shed some light on what these wires are it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 18

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of the connectors match for the transmission or T case? If so then my guess would be those are the wires for the speedo

Dave5180

Reaction score
It is a 2wd with a manual trans, none of the connectors fit on the trans, but like I said in the original post, one set is twisted together and the connector is removed.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Original trans? It sounds like the trans was swapped for a stick and they left the wiring. If I remember correctly the VSS is only 2 wires so it might be those. If I had my book with me I might be able to tell ya for sure.

Dave5180

Reaction score
The two wires are green with a black stripe and it looks like purple with a white stripe. I know it isnt the original trans, but I dont think it was ever an automatic.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
The green & purple are most definitely the VSS wires, I however found mine snipped with a few inchs of wire left @ the VSS on tcase.
However I found the other end directly between the engine & transmission.

I'll see if I got pics...
Edit: no pics..

Dave5180

Reaction score
thanks for the help, now I just have to see if I can find a connector somewhere. Any idea which wire goes where? i.e. green on left or right.