Help! Stereo beeps but display is dark and it won't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Awhile back my stereo died, I thought it broke since I didn't find any blown fuses or any other reason for it to not work, so I bought a new one. After removing the PO's mess, replacing the headunit, checking the 3 fuses (again) and last checking the wires for damage (again), it's still not working! The only thing that happens is everytime I start the truck the stereo gives of a series of beeps, but the display is dark and nothing works. Any ideas?
I found a little kink on the red wire (Switched Power 12V+), could that cause it? ... I'm confused!

How does it work, is Switched Power 12V+ for turning it on and Continuous 12V+ for powering it?

The PO left me with this...
You must be registered for see images attach

But I found a wiring diagram for the truck so I know what wire gose where. I had to convert it from original GM to ISO since the PO threw away the GM connector... The blue and blue/white wires are for amp and power antenna.

I also found a couple of wires that I don't know what they are for, they come up in the same harness as the stereo but can't find anything they could connect to, any ideas?
Wires are gray, yellow, purple/white, green and green/white.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What make/model is your new head unit? Have you checked the manual? A lot of times those series of beeps have meaning to them in the electronics world, if you look in the troubleshooting section of your head unit's manual it might list what they mean.

Very unfortunate that the previous owner discarded the factory plug, hate to see people doing that. Just makes a headache for everyone else down the line.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
It's a Sony DSX-A60BT (Only sold in Europe). Yes I did, the only mention of the Beep is how to turn it on/off, no explanation what it means. I googled the beep, the only results I get is about a beep when turning the ignition off, it's a reminder to remove the faceplate when leaving the vehicle, but mine doesn't beep when I turn the ignition off only when I start the truck...
I read thru the troubleshooting guide and it's probably the dumbest guide ever, pretty much "Q: The display is dark, why? A: Turn on the unit." So not very helpful...

Exactly, most car stereo companys here have "factory plug to ISO"-connectors so we don't even have to order from other countries and they only cost about $10... it's so much easier too.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score