Help me pick a NEW 5.7 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, 850 h.p. would be nice, but I do drive my truck a lot
As far as budget, I don't want to get crazy so under $5,000 I guess.
I don't have inspections where I live, but I would still want it to pass emmisions in case I move, sell etc..I've never run without a Cat and don't plan to..

IF, I could run without the computer, that would be nice but it would then need to be carburated correct?

I've thought about a turbo or supercharger.
I don't want a race engine that I would have to worry about overheating, predetonation, haveing the weakest link breaking etc.

I always use the lowest octane fuel, but that may need to change depending on what I end up doing.

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like that. I looked around and saw the RPO LQ9 345h.p. crate motor has been discontinued. Didn't see a price either..

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Used 6.0 costs about 1500. Slap a cam in there for another 1500 and you're looking at mid 400 hp at the wheels all day every day. Also better mpg and daily manners than any SBC. You just have to find someone to do the wiring and other things plus a transmission upgrade. This is what I suggest to everyone that wants more power for a decent price. I personally have a supercharged 6.0 in one of my trucks and it is perfect for a daily driver.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Used 6.0 costs about 1500. Slap a cam in there for another 1500 and you're looking at mid 400 hp at the wheels all day every day. Also better mpg and daily manners than any SBC. You just have to find someone to do the wiring and other things plus a transmission upgrade. This is what I suggest to everyone that wants more power for a decent price. I personally have a supercharged 6.0 in one of my trucks and it is perfect for a daily driver.

Word!!!

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're saying get a used 6.0, rebuild it, rewire my truck AND swap the trans. I'm not liking that.
My trans is built for towing and is practacly new. It shifts hard, cooler, servos, towing shift kit...
I'm really not lookning for a project, though a 6.0 sounds like a great way to go..

71 cuda man

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rebuilt my engine in a 94 k1500 last july with the edelbrock tbi intake/cam what a waste of money the power gained was definately not worth it.Then I contacted motorvation @ (901)821-0033 (these boys are by far the best) ordered their 750 tbi convertion kit along with a thumpr hyd roller cam kit from summit along with crane firewire spark plug wires (best wires with 25 ohms per ft compared to msd,accel, talyor ect with 50 ohms per ft & they're less than $60 per set) summits shorty truck headers which are pacesetters just wrap um I used dei industrys lava rock wrap stuff is awesome.Now I have an awesome sound & idle,great driveability & goobs of power & most important way better gas mileage.
Motorvation has kits from 330 hp on a stock motor compared to the 200 from the factory all the way up to 500 hp on modified engines.Before you do anything give motorvation a call you'll be very happy

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should be able to get a low mileage 6.0 for $15-1800 that won't need rebuilt at all.